20. Picnic, Picnic

I did NOT mean to make both my OCs Specialists I am so so so soooooooooooooooooo sorry. Although technically Rein won't rely on/use that part of her anyway. She will be Conjurer 99.9% of the time. But back to the point: Am I making them too op? Or Mary Sue?

"I don't actually like sweets that much..." she tried to protest, in vain. Rein blinked, and turned her head to look for them. She was on a cobblestone street, in one of the older sections in the city, with various shops that stretched on for what seemed like infinity. No matter which way she looked down, the boys were nowhere in sight. Then it hit her. She peered into the window and sighed. They'd ignored her and gone inside already. 

She pushed open the light door, the little golden bell tinkling to inform the shop owners of her arrival. The aroma was sweet, of perfectly burnt sugar, of warm sourdough, of pies fluffy with mounds of whipped cream, of pastries topped off with honey drizzled nuts and powdered sugar. She breathed in through her nose, trying to fill her lungs up with the saccharine air.

Gon and Killua were alarmingly close to the pastries, thin glass being the only thing separating the sweets and their sugar-desperate hands.

A baker appeared from the back, her eyes shining at the sight of customers. "What can I get you today?"

Gon and Killua had their eyes glued to the pies before huddling together to discuss their funds and just how much they could buy without getting in trouble.

"Everything!" Killua ordered the baker, eyes dead serious.

"Killua, no, Leorio's gonna snap!" Gon pulled him forward again to discuss the topic.

The shop person gave a hearty laugh at such willing buyers before sliding out from behind the counter to Rein. "Fun kids," she sighed. "You with them?"

"Well," she said before pausing. "I... guess so. Yeah."

"That must be interesting," the baker laughed. "Do you want to buy anything while those two keep talking? It is almost lunchtime after all."

Rein looked to Gon and Killua, who were still waist-deep in heated debate of how far they could push their luck with their money given all their efforts for the auction. She shook her head at them, showing a small smile to the baker. "What do you have?"

The baker pointed to the trays and windows around the boys. "Everything on that half is desert. I don't blame you if you want a donut for lunch though, I do that sometimes. And this half," she turned, "is bread, sandwiches, pizza, the like. Take your pick."

*     *     *

Rein was outside, sandwich in hand as she walked down the street to peek around at the other shops. The cobblestones pressed into the soles of her feet as she walked, large and round.

Gon had told her to go ahead, and to meet at the entrance of the park in thirty minutes. He even offered her a few hundred jenny to buy something if she wanted, and said they could cover for lunch. How many sweets they would end up buying at the bakery, she had no idea.

But she was glad they asked if she wanted to leave first. If she'd requested to leave their presence from her end, they might have gotten suspicious, or offended at the very least. Killua, anyway. She needed to be on good terms with all of them, but had to be extra careful around him. She had a suspicion that he was already attempting to sniff out her true intentions.

Now she had an excuse to be away from them, and prepare for the Chain User. Since they actually knew him, it was only a matter of time before she met him face-to-face.