44. Here

"Feitan." Kite dipped his head in greeting, his long hair almost brushing the ground. "A word, if I may."

Bacon swirled around his feet and purred as he replied: "What." He was busy. The exam was over, and he had to get back to Greed Island within the day. He was grateful it was only a short ship ride away, but it would still take time. He had no obligation to stay there any longer than he had to.

Kite looked fondly upon the cat and crouched down, clicking his tongue for it to come. It didn't, lingering behind Feitan's legs. Kite sighed. "I saved that cat on the side of the road. Its ears were near frostbitten, and two of his front teeth had to be removed from decay later on. He was in poor condition, but I somehow got him back up on his feet, so I thought to use it for my Exam phase."

It was obvious to see the cat was not at its peak. Why reiterate? This man was making light of him, wasn't he. Saying that with all this, the cat weak, that Feitan hadn't really deserved his spot on where he was now. "If that's all," he growled, only to be cut off.

"You're going to be an excellent Hunter, one day."

He cursed the surprised leap in his eyebrows.

"My mentor once said that any person who is good with animals is destined for adventures worthy of that of a Hunter. I trust those words deeply." Kite blinked at the cat, a way of smiling before bringing up his lanky figure once more. "You're the first he's grown fond of."

There was a still silence as Feitan gave no verbal response, only lowered himself to scratch Bacon behind his chewed-up ears and to mess up the height difference.

"I'm sure you had every intention of taking him after the Exam anyway, but since he was originally mine, I'm only here to officially state you are allowed to take him. I'm sure the cat will have no complaints."

"Bacon," Feitan started, "is not mine. Not yours. He is own cat and he does what he pleases." He heard Rein calling for him from the front of the building, and he made his way there. A mess of grey fur and lemon eyes trailed his heels.

Kite let out a short chuckle, adjusting his cap further down his forehead, a goodbye tip of the hat towards the Spider. The cat, his own being, huh? "So he is."

*     *     *

"Guess this is where I say goodbye," Zepile said, hesitating for a brief moment before crushing them all in his large arms. For someone who spent his days on business matters, he was surprisingly strong. "It was fun, really," he thanked.

"There's absolutely no way you can spare another hour or so?" Zushi was already sweating."Please?"  he squeaked out.

He laughed, but patted his shoulder out of concern. "Sorry, kid. I have to meet up with a friend. Don't worry, your mentor cares about you, and I'm sure he'll make whatever decision he does in your best interests. I'm sure you'll do just fine!"

"Y-yes," replied Zushi, unaware he was gnawing on his thumbnail, a suppressed bad habit that was cracking out again. "J-just f-f-f-fine..."

Killua slung his arm around him as Zepile left. The young boy's shaking rattled him to the very core, quite literally, almost as if he was trying to comfort a washing machine. "Your request won't be taken seriously if you look like that. Calm down a bit."