Chapter 3: Infected

Chapter 3: Infected

How? Why?

Those questions kept running in my mind as the man prepared to inject me with the liquid, whatever it was.

It could be poison, or some sort of new stimulating drug. Maybe a combination of both.

"You'll thank me once you're no longer lesbian," he'd said.

Really? Did he mean that he would turn me somehow? Like those people I'd seen in the news?

Thankfully, I didn't get to find out, because a split-second later, he had fallen to the ground.

How?!

"Pax!" someone said, just as I realized what had happened. "Pax, it's me! Are you alright?!"

Who? But another split-second, and someone was pulling my eyelids apart. And this someone, whoever it was, was not gentle enough. "She's not responding!" A high-pitched male's voice said. "She's just staring far away! The poison got to her!"

"No, it didn't!" Someone pushed the male away. Another moment and I was staring at gray, unreadable eyes, dark caramel-colored hair starting to fall all over it. "Pax?" she repeated, uncertain. "Are you alright?"

"A-Audra?"

Audra's features started to take shape in front of me. Those familiar lips of hers I'd recognize anywhere. Those slender hips that I'd like to run my hands on. Everything. Everything about her.

Yet before I could feel anything towards it, butterflies or whatnot, I was shrieking at her face, trying as best as I could to save her. "Watch out!"

It happened so fast that nobody else had the time to react. One moment the man in the lab gown was collapsed on the floor, Audra and Neil's doing no doubt, the next moment, Audra was on the ground, rolling alongside him.

Neil, who I looked up to in horror, rushed to my side instead of aiding his friend. "Once I get you free here you need run to the window," he instructed. "No if's. No buts. We have to get out of here right now."

What? Why?! My eyes went to Audra again. After the man had dragged her down, he immediately grabbed her hair, and was now trying to choke her, his big claw-like hands boring on her neck.

I glared at Neil incredulously once more, confused but terribly angry. Especially since he was taking his sweet time pulling my straps loose. "Are you freaking kidding me?!" I shouted. "You're her best friend. Go and rescue her first!"

"Can't and won't." He got me free. "Hey!"

Did he really think I would run to the window like he'd told me to? Did he really think that I'd obey him while I was seeing Audra being killed?

Hell no! That was effed up!

But being up suddenly and running to the chaos, I was struck by how unprepared I was. How weak. Especially when Audra and the man rolled past me screaming and grunting. If I wasn't so shocked, I would have laughed by how ridiculous this was. All of it.

Meanwhile, something banged on the door.

"Shit!" Neil said. "We just locked it from this side. It must be the woman. We need to get out."

Now that he'd mentioned it; I looked around. Only the man was present now. The woman in the lab coat, his partner, had gone missing. Upon seeing her colleague on the floor, she must have ran out and called for help.

Bang!

My eyes went to Audra and the man again. They were still at it rolling, paying no mind to the other racket across us.