Chapter 20: Her

Chapter 20: Her

The place where the voice was coming from was dark. Cold. Unrecognizable. But. . . Something about that huskiness and that tone, the person attached to that voice made me look anyhow.

It was her!

Another second, and I was running to the dark, uncaring about the dangers it brought.

"Pax!"

"Audra!"

Our hands fumbled together in the dark. Skin against skin, tremble upon tremble.

"How?! Why?!"

"It's you!"

Our voices mingled together like butter and chocolate, but when I was about to reach further onto the dark, something else stopped me. Something cool, frigid, and rusty.

I nearly cried out when my eyes adjusted, and I realized that there were bars. Iron bars from floor to ceiling. On the other side, Audra continued reaching out to me. "I'm so happy to see you!" she gasped. "You literally have no idea!"

I had to take a step back for a second. I had to, because I was coated in disbelief. I had never been so happy yet furious to see her. And why the hell was she in a prison?

"What are you doing in there?" I said, the gravity of the situation hitting me like a freight train, derailing me from head to toe. "Why are you behind bars?"

"Oh, you know, just hanging around," she said.

It was meant to be a joke, but it got me angrier. Now that my eyes had fully adjusted to the darkness, I could see in perfect clarity how Audra's usually smooth face was now spoiled with dirt. How her brown jacket was torn in some edges. How her Godly hair— the hair that I had aspired to run my fingers into, was messy and tangled, so unlike her.

But what got me most was not the appearance of her face, nor the sadness of her expression as she looked at me. But her eyes, which were tired and fearful; a fear that was misguided as she started to speak again.

"Oh God!" She realized. "You shouldn't be here. They might get you too, Pax. You need to get out."

"Me?" My voice had risen a notch. "Me? And what about you, Audra?!"

"What about me? I'm tougher than I look."

"Jesus, woman!"

"Please, just go."

I couldn't believe this. Any of it. Now that I'd found her, she was asking me to leave. Leave where, exactly? And how the hell did she get imprisoned here? There must be some sort of explanation.

"Tell me what happened," I rushed.

At the tone of my voice, Audra gave me a small sigh before closing her eyes. "You don't happen to have the key first, do you?" She asked.

"No."

"And you're not going to escape without me either?"

"Of course not!" I said. "Do you think that low of me?"

Her head shook firmly. "No. No, Pax. It's just that. . ." Her tired eyes flitted to me, before she gave a sad smile. "I'm happy to see you. Heck. . . I'm happy to talk to anyone at all for this past one week. But I'd prefer that you get of here. As far away from this prison cell as possible."

I gritted my teeth. She was in there but she was still thinking about my safety.

Something in my chest pinched like bread being squashed into pieces. Yet the anger towards the situation was still there as I began walking the length of the bars. Maybe, just maybe, there was an escape latch here somewhere. Or maybe someone fastened the key on a wall on these parts. I just wanted to find out.