Chapter 37: Attack

Chapter 37: Attack

Today was the day before Blackwell's deadline. Today was the day that we attacked.

Early before dawn, Audra's scent still lingering on my skin, the four of us friends met by the campfire, faces alert despite just waking up, stomach's empty though no one was complaining. And in a beat of a second, we were all moving simultaneously, gathering things— loading them in the car.

It was after breakfast, when the sun had not even risen, when we gathered by the campfire once more. The four of us knew what we were going to do, but somehow, here and now, we were looking at each other, as if we didn't have a clue.

"So I guess. . ." Hanz was the first one to break the silence. The one who had given us pages of papers earlier too, asking us to write a letter.

A letter for our loved ones, in case everything didn't pan out.

His hair touching his forehead now, unlike the super short cut before this adventure started, Hanz smiled at us, much like he'd done for the rest of the weeks. "So I guess this is it," he said again. "Anyone wants to say their piece before we do it? Before we attack Blackwell once and for all?"

Audra didn't open her lips, though I knew exactly what she wanted to say.

She wanted blood. For her. Our friends. For people that Blackwell had stepped on. Most especially for me.

Even though she didn't tell me about it last night, every touch, every kiss, every shiver down Audra's spine spoke volumes than any word could say. She would die before I was taken from her.

Neil, in the meantime, ruffled his hair. "Anyone who dies today before we steal shit from Blackwell would have to answer to me in hell," he said. "You got that? Because in hell, I'm King." He smirked. "So if you don't want me following your ass for a whole freaking eternity, better do a great job today. Or else."

All of them then turned to me.

It was my turn. "I. . ." My throat was clamping up. How do I say to this group that I was more than thankful enough? That they were my best friends in the world? That I was glad to have known them?

But funnily enough, like I knew what Audra was trying to say even though she had not spoken, the three of them already understood. A second later, we were all locked in a tight hug.

I didn't know this could be possible.

Hanz was the first one to break away, wiping his eyes. "Let's do this," he whispered. "For people like my mom's."

Before dawn, we were already in the car, travelling at a fast speed, Audra behind the wheel like a maniac.

Even though none of us enjoyed her driving, not one of us complained. Not one of us needed to. Everyone knew the part they were going to play. We had been waiting for this for days.

When we broke through the city after avoiding checkpoints, I pressed my hands on the window, not speaking at all.

Neil, as our car went further down the street, tapped me on the shoulder. "Don't get too excited," he whispered. "We won't be seeing much people from here. Blackwell's Lab is located on the edge of the city."

I nodded to him. We were all briefed with this. During the days, we found out the exact location of Blackwell's Lab. His research facility was on the edge of downtown, surrounded by offices that belonged to his company. So while we were here, we wouldn't see much people, except those working for him.

It was not too much of a loss, however. At least this way, we were focused on our tasks. At least this way, we wouldn't envy other teenagers like us. Teenagers who were living a normal life, not weighted by the false 'cure.'