9

a knock on the door startles hueningkai awake. dizzy with sleep, he hobbled towards his door to here voices downstairs.

"hello there, handsome." hueningkai's aunt flirts shamelessly, her breath probably reeking of crack.

"is my son here?" a stern voice responds flatly, clearly not interested in his aunt.

"son?" she sounds confused. "only my nephew lives here."

"your nephew is in a... relationship with my son and i don't approve. is my son here with your nephew?" the man chokes on the word relationship.

"i don't know, we can go upstairs and check." she giggles flirtaously.

footsteps hit against the wooden stairs that struck fear into hueningkai.

frantically, hueningkai shook yeonjun awake and urged, "fuck, yeonjun, wake up! your dad is here!"

yeonjun groaned as opened his eyes to wake up to a fearful hueningkai.

"baby?" yeonjun questioned, as the doorknob started to jiggle.

hueningkai threw yeonjun to the ground with a thump which made yeonjun hiss in pain. though hueningkai felt bad about hurting yeonjun, he didn't have time to apologize and rolled him underneath his bed, urging him to quiet down.

hueningkai hurried back into his bed and soon, the door flung open. hueningkai screwed his eyes shut as his aunt and kai's father scanned the room for any sign of yeonjun.

"i guess he's not here," hueningkai's aunt said, twisting her hair with her fingers. "hey are you single?"

"i'm not interested," father curled his upper lip in disgust. "i bid you a good day." and with that, he stormed out of the room.

the aunt approached hueningkai and shook him awake.

"you have a boyfriend?" she asked curiously.

"yes, aunt rieah," hueningkai responded flatly. "not that it's any of your business."

"look," rieah sighs. "i know you don't like me and i don't blame you. i like to sleep around and do drugs. but honestly, i love you. though i don't show it, ever since you came to live with me, i found a purpose in life. yes, i still sleep around and use crack, but you've helped me do it less." she shot him a smile then walked out the room.

hueningkai sat there, stunned and yeonjun crawled out from underneath the bed. he sat down next to hueningkai and rested his head on his shoulder.

"woah," hueningkai breathed out. "i've never seen her that way."

"maybe she does love you," yeonjun shrugged. "she just doesn't know how to."

"i guess." hueningkai shrugged, sighing a bit.

it was silent for awhile, then yeonjun broke it. "do you think my appa will one day accept me... accept us?"

"maybe," hueningkai suggested. "but it will take time."

"i get where he's coming from," yeonjun tilted his head to the ceiling. "it's hard to accept something so new."