Chapter 1: Mistake - Nic

"Nic, c'mon, wake up!"

I groaned, rubbing my eyes.

"Why?"

"Because you have school," Uncle Benny replied back from the doorway.

I've almost always lived with my aunt and uncle. My dad was abusive and my mom had drug problems, so my dad's brother took me in, along with his wife and twin daughters. They were the closest thing I had to a family.

Uncle Benny walked in, smiling. He put his hand on my head and started moving around all of my hair into some kind of birds nest, messing it up more than it was.

"Stop!" I giggled.

"It's your first day. And you're lucky they even let you into this school. Especially in April, seeing as the year is almost over," he pointed out.

I was expelled from my last school for spray painting the walls with band logos. Apparently, that counts as vandalism. So, I was transferred to South Sacramento High School. My cousins came with me for support, but I doubt I needed it, seeing as they were a grade younger than I was.

He pulled the blankets off of me, revealing my Rolling Stones pajamas.

"Gee, thanks."

"Time to wake up, Nic," he sighed, pulling me by my wrists and making me sit up.

It was crazy; he raised me just like his own daughters, Tara and Vivienne.

His brother was my dad, and I didn't really want anything to do with my dad. I have no idea where he is, or where he was for that matter.

But he raised me as his own kid. I called him "Uncle Benny" even though his middle name was Benjamin. He was named Henry, but only people from his work at the hospital called him that.

His wife, Carol, was like a mom to me. I don't remember much of my mom, just having to run four miles to Uncle Benny's house to tell them she had overdosed on heroin. That, and running out of my house when she tried to hurt me. Other than that, she's a blur.

Their twins, Tara and Vivienne, were like my sisters. They were identical twins, both with bright red hair and blue eyes. I, on the other hand, had brown hair and green eyes. Apparently, my mom had green eyes and brown hair, and my dad shared the hair I do, but that was never something I could care about.

Tara and Vivienne have always been the closest people to me. My grandparents obviously didn't like me. The hated the fact that I liked to wear ripped black jeans and a leather jacket. I usually wore leather gloves, and most of the money I earned was saved towards a motorcycle.

Of course, life got in the way of those dreams.

"C'mon kid," Uncle Benny sighed, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Time to stay awake."

He closed the door behind him and I sighed, running my hands through my crazy brown hair. I turned on my light and put in Van Halen's album.

One of the things I was never excited for was calling role in class. I had six names in total: Elizabeth-Nicole Sarah-Alexandra Simmon-Yeets. I only went by Nic, which was short for Nicole. My parents weren't married when I was born, or even at all. They argued over naming me and eventually went with giving me two first names and two middle names. It was a mouthful for teachers, and they always asked if there was something else I went by. 

I put on a 'Brutal Chaos' shirt. They were a newer band, but already iconic. Their lead singer was named Rocket Ski. He was a Hispanic singer and guitarist, and he was just under a year older than me. Their bassist was named Kenneth Wendt, their lead guitarist named Cory Hart, and their drummer named Eric Thompson. They came from L.A, and often visited Sacramento, which is where I lived. With that being said, I did everything I could to meet them. I've been to concerts, been to places in South Sacramento they could've been visiting, and everything in between.