Chapter 23: Recover - Jeremy

May 23rd, 1987

"Look! It's so tiny!" Axton laughed as showed us a picture from the ultrasound.

We all sat around in my car. I was driving us to a Megadeth concert all the way in D.C, while they played on a tape I had put in the car.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Scott asked.

"What? I don't know yet."

"Oh. Pathetic," I sighed.

"But, yeah, she's about nine or ten weeks pregnant. So, it's not quite a baby but rather a fetus. Or, they called it an embryo, I think. But, it's at the rate that she can still get an abortion. So, there's that. Well, it might be a baby now. I seriously have no idea."

"Abortion confuses me," Cedric revealed.

"Why?"

"I don't know. It just... does. Some call it murder, while some see it as a human right. I don't know what I think," he shrugged.

"I mean, it's up to the girl," Nic replied.

"I agree with that statement!" Ax called from the back right seat.

Scott was in the passenger seat. Since he was the largest, he needed more space.

Nic sat in the seat behind me, Cedric in the middle.

They argued, stating Nic should sit in the middle because she's the smallest, but she insisted she would chop his head off if she got the middle seat.

That was nice to know.

In the end, Ceddie had to sit in the middle.

"So, how is Tara?" I asked as I exited.

"Um, she's pretty good. She's had a bunch of morning sickness, though. And in a few weeks, we'll have our first 'midwife appointment,' whatever that means. I don't really know what that is, but we're supposedly supposed to meet whoever will be in the delivery room. Though, the doc we have now is the one that's supposed to deliver the kid. But... I don't know. maybe the nurses too?"

"Does she have a bump yet?"

"Yeah, she called and said she spotted it this morning! It sucks I couldn't see her, but she said she had a surprise for me when I got back that had to do with the baby."

"I bet she found out the gender and named it Bowie," Scott sighed.

"No, I kinda doubt it," Axton replied in return.

"What? I wasn't serious!"

"Ooh, this song!" I called as I turned up the radio.

"Hey, you took sleep medicine to keep you awake, right?" Nic asked.

"What? Oh, yeah, I did."

"Good."

"It's forty-one hours, Nic! We're stopping in Nebraska somewhere, alright, guys?"

They all just nodded, headbanging to the lyrics of 'Peace Sells.'

At least I had them to headbang with.

~~~

We stopped in Nebraska, tired as ever.

It was a city named Hastings, which we'd never been to before.

Outside of the hotel was swarmed by fans of us by now, which didn't come to our shock.

We were on the road since about three this morning, and we drove over twenty-one hours.