Chapter 10: You Are In Love - Axton

April 30, 1986

We had just recently been told that we might have a deal.

I would still have to tell my parents, and I figured it wouldn't go down well.

So, here I was, with Jeremy in my house, and my parents just getting home.

He set his guitar down on my bed, right next to where I put my bass.

"Parents!" I hollered.

"Parents I wish were my parents!" Jeremy added as we walked out of my room together.

"Hi, boys," Mom sighed, placing groceries in the fridge. "What's up?"

"Well," I began, a huge grin on my cheeks.

"We met up with someone who may want to sign us," Jeremy said.

"Really?" Dad laughed.

"They said we need parent approval," I continued.

"If my parents don't agree, can you forge signatures for me?" Jeremy asked.

Mom raised her dark eyebrows, scoffing.

"No, Jeremy, we will not. If they don't want you involved in whatever this is, then you shouldn't do it. I know it's hard to think, but parent's know what is best for you!"

"Please! You're like the parents I never had!" he begged.

"How serious is this? Are they just recording a song or two for you and you're just going to keep it?"

"It's Jefferson Records," I admitted. "They want to sign us. They want us to have an album, Mom! They want us to get a tour and to actually... Mom, we could become a huge deal!"

Mom stopped and stared at me, along with Dad.

"Jesus, Ax... how did that happen?" Dad asked quietly.

"We just kind of... have a lot of talent..." Jeremy explained slowly.

"If they don't... allow it... I may think about it," Mom offered, sighing slowly.

"Seriously?" Jeremy gasped.

"If you do well enough... and prove to me that you really do deserve this... then maybe," she sighed. "But if you guys aren't any good, then no. Absolutely not."

Jeremy's mouth hung open. "Thank you so much, Carolyn! You have no idea how much this means to me!'

She rolled her eyes slightly. "You're someone I trust with Ax. You're the best kid I could've chosen to be his friend."

"Axton... do you really want to go through with this? If you guys blow up... then you... well you... Ax, you'd be dropping out of school and touring the world. You'd get no education, barely any sleep, and it'd be hard on your relationship with Tara."

"That's perfect! No school and seeing the world! I could go to overseas places, like Mexico-!"

"Axton, that's-"

"I realized that right as I said it, Dad," I admitted. "But Tara supports it. She wants me to follow my dream, and this is my dream! Why would I not want to do it? I would see the whole world. Overseas places like Spain or England. I'd have millions of fans! Some may even name their kids after me! Can you imagine? It'd be perfect! Tara and I would be alright, and I know it."

"Axton... you don't realize how hard this is," Mom stated, pulling her hair out of a ponytail and walking towards me. She placed her hands on my shoulders and smiled a motherly smile. "We just want you to succeed. And Metal... so many hate it. You'd be so frowned upon, you know? There'd be so many people who hate you."