Chapter 19: "Work" - Scott

April 20th, 1987.

We surrounded the studio, watching as Axton played bass like a pro.

We were finishing off with a Glam song. He sang for lots of it, leaving Ceddie just to join in at the chorus.

"Ax is doing pretty good, huh?" Tara asked from the studio.

"Yeah, I guess," I sighed.

Tara had been a bit shy all day, and I had no idea why.

Axton had been a bit cautious lately, making me wonder what was going on with them.

I decided not to say, simply because I probably didn't care.

Jeremy's little sister bounced in his lap, forcing a small smile on my face.

I didn't like kids, but she was cute.

Rose, his newest sister, was three months old. She had the same blue eyes everyone in their family did, and she had a birthmark on her left leg shaped like a heart. Other than her eyes, you couldn't really tell she was part of the Carson family.

With that said, all babies look the same.

"Alright, so, we need to make another about death or something completely messed up," I said.

Cedric agreed and nodded.

"What if we made one about heroin?" Jeremy threw out, still bouncing Rose on his lap.

She couldn't stop giggling at her brother.

I was kind of shocked they let Rose stay with Jem, but he seemed happy about it.

"So, Jeremy, let's take a moment to see that you don't use heroin, yet you are encouraging making a song about it?"

"We could just make a Psychedelic Rock song about it, I'm just saying!"

"That's not a bad idea," Nic said.

"Heroin isn't a psychedelic drug," I pointed out. "LSD is, though."

"Have you tried heroin?" Tara asked out of nowhere.

"I have, in fact," I admitted.

I couldn't lie.

And I wasn't addicted, so it didn't matter.

"Anyway, if we want to make another, we should. It's been too long since making a song," I added.

"I guess," Ceddie sighed.

"Well, we could always make one about Marijuana. Not like Free Time, but something else."

I looked up, only to see Axton wiping his forehead with a towel.

He sat next to Tara, wrapping his arm around her shoulder protectively.

"Jeremy, can you go in there and just start to play something?" I requested.

"Sure. Will you hold her for me?"

I nodded, taking Rose into my arms as he left.

I held her by her armpits, her face etched in a frown.

It was clear neither one of us were fans of each other.

"You like Rock?" I jokingly asked.

She didn't respond.

I should've seen that coming.

Tara and Axton were having their own small conversation.

He then cleared his throat.