New Residency

Onika's POV
June 22 1720(12:57pm)
Ship

"Land in way!" I heard from our quarters, I moved to the door and opened it some wanting to see what he was speaking of. I've been in here for the last two days mostly, I only come out to use the relieve myself and or to eat, I moved out and saw there was indeed land more so a ship port then I saw her come down the stairs that were over the side of me "Set sail for it, we should be there in less than an hour" she spoke before coming in the direction of the office so I quickly closed the door and acted as if I was invested in something other than what was going on behind that door.

She came into the room and closed the door before leaning on it "I know you already saw it so get your things together, we should be there in 30 minutes" she voiced before moving to the desk and pouring herself a drink "When we get here don't look at anyone, you will have your own room but you do NOT leave that room if I am not there. The only time you can is to get food and that's when he is not there do you understand?" She spoke in my face to make sure I understood, I nodded nervous and confused "Say it" "I will not leave the room if you are not there and or if he's still there" I said looking between her eyes.

Her face physically relaxed and she closed her eyes breathing through her nose, "This is nothing like Nassau, this is where racism and segregation DOES exist. Don't be fooled by these whites they do NOT like you and they aren't afraid of showing it, you will always be by or near me whenever we go out. Don't think this is a game and I'm trying to scare you because I'm not... when we get off you'll give me some of your bags and you will ride with me to my house. On the way some will look at us but you don't look at them no matter what." She said and I nodded gulping "Good, I'll come get you when everything is ready. Are you hungry?" I shook my head no and she briefly looked at me before walking out.

---

"We're here, are you ready?" I nodded getting my bags but she took them out of my hands only letting me hold the smaller ones "Bu-"You were going to struggle I'd rather do it." She spoke leading me out, the men were unloading the ship taking some of its cargo "Where is it going?" "They're selling it, anything that's left over and still of good use and money they sell it" "You don't pay them?" I asked confused "I do but I let them do so to help get extra for their family, I'm the only one who hires them and don't disrespect them while paying better than the whites." She said "So you are the captain?" "I never said I was.." she voiced as we made our way off the ship.

"Go to that carriage" she voiced I did as told not looking at the men who stared at me with a mix of emotions one spoke out to me I believe but I didn't answer, instead I continued to walk more afraid of madam than this well dressed man "Do you not hear me talking to you?" He said and I moved a little faster hoping she was soon behind me "Negress!" He said now moving to me he got a hold of my arm twirling me around I looked up at him with a shocked expression "Do you not hear me speaking to you?!" He asked darting his eyes between mine.

I never spoke even as I tried nothing fell about my lips so I stood there with an open mouth, he raised his hand high in the open air and I prepared myself for the blow "If you lay another hand upon her I will have this dealt with upon myself and the law." I heard Madam say as his hand was about to come down he stopped in mid air and looked at her "Excuse me?" "Take your hands off of her, she's not yours so I advice you to do as I say or I will handle this matter" she said no longer holding my bags due to her handing them off to her significant other.

"Ooh you're that 'free' negress that owns slaves... wow you really are a trader of your own people. But you do know either way shes supposed answer to me" the white man spoke with a cocky smile looking from her to me "She's deaf" she spoke as if it was true, I would have believed her if I didn't know myself from how she stood with completely confidence. "That's a good thing to note.. Fine you can keep her but if I see her again I'm taking her." He spoke roughly letting go of my arm and slightly throwing me in her direction then walking off.

I lost my footing and instantly knew I would embarrass myself to soon falling on the ground but it never happened no instead someone caught me in time "Are you okay Ms.Maraj?" I heard and turned in the direction of the voice seeing it was Nasir "Yes, umm thank you for helping me." I softly smiled getting out of his hold "A woman should never be treated like that, I'm I couldn't help more.." "It's okay you helped me more than you think." I voiced rubbing down my dress from the wrinkles and mainly out of nervousness. I nodded in thanks one more time before going to madam who was ignoring my presence "ma-"Go get in the carriage" she said and I sadly nodded knowing she was mad about the incident.

"Ms.Maraj!" I heard Nas say loudest as I made my way to my ride, I turned around and he smiled "I hope to see you again soon!" He voiced I smiled blushing at his words looking down at the hem of my dress trying to control the noise I wanted to make, I looked back up at him and nodded in agreement hoping for the same. I finally got into the carrier and sat there smiling like a fool, my daydreaming was interrupted when the carriage door opened revealing madam getting inside and knocking on the window behind her so we could leave.

"Thank you" I gratefully spoke lifting my eyes to look at her but not my head "You did as told." Was all she said in response, I smiled inside happy that she believed so. The ride went on in complete slightly intimidating silence with me zoned out and her looking outside the window until I asked a question I knew I would probably never get a real answer to "The man said you owned slaves, do you?". She looked at me as I had me head bowed to her like a scared dog afraid of its owners next move "Yes" she said taking me by surprise that I got an answer and at the fact that it was a yes.

"Y-you do? Why?" I proceeded to ask as she just gave me a bored and tired look then turned to look out the window ending my series of questions. After a while the carriage came to a stop in front of a gate that only had from what I could see a large house that was of distance surround by a mixture of green grass that was appealing to the eye. Her husband got off of the carriage opening the gate letting us through before closing and locking it getting back on, the ride consisted of grass going for what I could see a mile almost two before we reached the house.

Now at a good view I saw the house was a two layer consisting of light brown and white brick, she got out with me soon following behind going to get my bags. As I did so I stared at the house in awe "Shawn come get her things and take them into the house" madam said Mr. Carter soon came to me getting my stuff but giving me a hateful look, he got everything then went towards the door of house "Here" I heard her say behind me so I quickly turned around and grabbed the bag full of books and some other things "Let's go" she said and I followed behind her going to the doors of the house .

-----
And there will be more updates later today there was something I had to say but I forgot🙃
-Scooby