Land

Onika's POV
July 7,1720(7:56am)
Madam's house

I woke up and came downstairs to see Madam sitting at the dining table seeming to have seen me before I saw her. We made eye contact and I felt like she wanted me to leave so I went to the kitchen doing my routine of helping with the food, as I got comfortable with what I was doing I saw Madam walking outside to Loraiya who was standing near with a concerned face. At first I wondered what was going on but then I realized she was going to tell her about what happened at the garden, I grew nervous and anxious of her coming inside to me.

I cut the carrots even faster as I thought of what was being said, it got to the point I cut myself in the process "Ahh!" I quietly screamed to myself everyone in the kitchen turned to me as I held my finger. "Onika are you okay?" Hilda asked me I nodded with a strained smile "I just cut my finger that's all" I spoke quickly taking a peek out of the window seeing Madam and Loraiya looking in already Shit... She can inside and looked at me "Come on" she said raking her eyes over me in slight disgust, I followed her up head hanging and lips turned up in fear.

She pointed to my room so I went in and waited for her when she came in she had the things you'd wrap a wound with and something else "Whats that?" I asked as she sat down on the bed she put some on a washcloth then on my finger holding them together as I yelped "Alcohol" she spoke as she removed it wiping my finger it slowed the bleeding and "Why didn't you tell me he came onto you in the garden" she quietly spoke as her deep voice filled the room. "I don't know what you're ta-"Tell me child" she demanded holding my wrist tightly "Because I was afraid of you getting angry like now..." I whispered as she held her grip but it loosened up some as she looked at my bowed head.

"When" "A few days after you left, I was getting berries for Hilda's pie and he and the other two came up" I quickly spoke and she lowered her head speaking to herself. She wrapped my finger and stood me up "Don't good things from me, I told you to tell me and you didn't." "Because he said not to! I didn't want him to get anyone else" I explained "He won't... and i know sorry for what I did to you last night, I shouldn't have come to you in that manner. Especially not after what's happened to you, I do hope you accept my sincere apologies" she said I was about to respond but she walked out hearing knocking at the front door.

I wanted to tell that I actually enjoyed last night if possible, I know she said to leave her alone and I will but after I explain myself to her. I followed behind her with some distance to see all the women who were once in the kitchen gone as was the food, as I stood on the last two stairs I heard deep steps approach with quickness behind me. Turning my head to see her husband coming all dressed and neatly combed, as he came down he didn't even make any advances towards me simply ignored my existence. "Who is it?" He asked as if he was the dominant in the relationship, Madam turned her head to him with a what I assume was an irritant face before it softened "The white people trying to get the land" she said fixing her clothes some.

She opened the door before the man that was now in view rung the doorbell again "Morning Mr. Huston" her husband spoke "Mr.Carter, I came to speak on the future of this land as you know you can't seize it forever" he slightly spat and said as if obvious "The land isn't seize its paid for in full without a monthly or weekly pay and we actually can, it's in family's name." Her husband 'Mr.Carter' said. I looked at Madam's face seeing she was already done with the conversation and her husband. "Who's that negress?" The white man interrupted causing both of them to turn around Madams hazel eyes grew with anger "Is She for sale?" The white man asked as she looked at me then I saw some sense of defense in them "She's not" she slightly growled turning back to him.

"Any slave is for sale, so how much for her?" He asked her husband "Get off my property" she growled even more "Control your negress boy" the man spoke pointing some "Go upstairs with her" the husband said while Madam looked like she was going to kill soon. She walked up to me and stood before me looking me in the eye saying up so I did so, we made it to my room and I sat on the bed like an obedient child "Why is he wanting the land?" I asked "Because he can't take the fact that we have more land than him" she said "When I saved up enough I bought this land with no monthly payment or anything, I live under no ones rule and I like it like that" she voiced.

I gulped at her words "Were you a slave?" I asked and she looked at me "Madam?" "Stay here" was all I got and she was moving to walk out "I liked it!" I quietly yelled standing some just to sit back down "I-I liked it a lot" I added she had already turned around and looked at me "What are you talking about?" "Y-You touching me, I liked it. I-I don't know w-why but I did and I-I can't really stop thinking about it.. It was different when you touch me, I didn't really feel like an object" I said looking up every now and again "I told you that I shouldn't have done that I was drinking none of what happened that night should have happened." "I know bu-"No buts to it, don't think of that situation in that was a misunderstanding and don't think of me in that way. I told you before I don't like girls" "But you don't like your husband much either" I whispered

She turned around and looked at me "You don't know a thing about what I like and what I don't. Now get it through your fucking head I don't like you I never will" she growled in my face as I sat on the bed with my fingers gripping the sheets and things tightly with my head hanging in fear, I kept turning my head but she kept steady eye contact "Don't forget" and she walked out. I didn't move my shaky body from the spot, I just sat steadying my breathing and nerves.

I came back down seeing the man was gone and the women were back in the kitchen, I walked in next to Hilda "Why did you all leave?" She turned to me with a saddened smile "Not everyone was sold to her, some were stolen and some are runaways. We all know her as the one to save us, she is like our Savior from this cruel inhumane world." She spoke "She never says what really started her to do this but we all feel it's for good reasoning." I nodded at her words then asked her what she'd like me to do. She sent me outside with the kids and the girls to play and well help.

"Nika, Are you okay? You seem sad" Loraiya said "I'm fine, where's Nilaya?" "She should be on her way, she woke up late." She voiced "I-I'm sorry I told Madam about what happened it had nothing to do with me, I had no rights. But I had to, she told me to watch you." I nodded with a small smile "I know and thank you, I really am grateful." "I'm here!" We heard from behind us with running we turned and saw Nilaya coming to us, "I'm sorry, I had to get my brothers ready last night" "Ready for what?" I asked "For today! It's coming of age, they do a traditional dance tonight and since we don't have lions and things to kill or hunt Madam changed it to knowing how to care for a soulmate, a woman. " she said the back door opened on the house and I looked seeing Madam walk out and to the older group of adults.

"When does it happen?" I asked "Later tonight, you should come! The girls don't get one like it but we do get one, the boys get to choose who they want to wife and the women have the right to deny them or not. Something the masters would never allow." She said I nodded my head and looked at Madam some seeing her laughing as the older woman holding a mans hand was talking I think telling a story "I'll be there" I smiled looking at Nilaya now "Good, I think you might find someone as well" she smiled at me and I looked back at Madam who was enjoying the story "I hope so"

----
This is so late I've been busy more later
-Scooby🐶