Birthday

Chapter 27

"Happy birthday, Natsukiiiiiii!" Sayori yelled through the phone.

"Heh.. Thanks, Sayo." Natsuki chuckled awkwardly.

"Let me guess. You haven't told Yuri yet, have you?" Sayori said in a monotonous tone.

"No..." Natsuki said quietly.

Sayori sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Natsuki...." Sayori sounded annoyed.

"I'm sorry, okay? I just don't feel it's nessicary! You know I hate my birthday." Natsuki said quietly.

Yuri listened from outside the room.

Today is Natsuki's birthday?

"I know I know.. But she's gonna find out sooner or later." Sayori rolled her eyes with a huff.

"Yeah yeah. Love ya, bye." Natsuki abruptly hung up, dreading the day she still had to go through.

~~~

Yuri dialed Sayori's new number, walking out back so Natsuki wouldn't hear.

"Oh hey, Yuri!" Sayori greeted cheerfully.

"Hello, Sayori. I heard today is Natsuki's birthday, why didn't someone tell me?" Yuri asked.

"Whaaaaat? Noooooo! Birthday? I don't remember any birthdays today sorry!" Sayori chuckled nervously.

"Sayori. Please. Why didn't she tell me?" Yuri asked again, feeling somewhat hurt at the withheld information.

"Okay... Listen. Natsuki hates her birthday. Like, a lot. She dreads the day every year so only me and her really know when it even is. She especially doesn't want anyone to make a big deal out of the fact she's an adult now." Sayori explained.

"Why does she hate it so much?" Yuri asked.

"It's really not my place to say, but... It reminds her of her parents... Her mom died before she was even ten and her dad forgot every year after that. She hasn't celebrated it since she was like, I dunno, six." Sayori shrugged.

Oh, poor Natsuki... That's terrible...

"Okay. Thank you, Sayori." Yuri said with a sigh.

"No problem! Just promise me you won't do anything fancy?" Sayori asked slowly.

"I promise. Goodbye, Sayori." Yuri said.

"Byeee~!" Sayori sang before Yuri hung up.

Oh I am so getting her a gift...

"Monika." Yuri said as her cousin picked up the phone.

"Hey, Yuri. What's up?" Monika answered from what sounded like her car, the sound of the engines rev in the background.

"Hey. Um, I need a favor." Yuri said quietly, cupping the phone with her hand.

"Sure! I'll be there in five." It sounded like Monika picked up speed.

"Okay just don't get a ticket! Bye!" Yuri said with a smile.

"I won't. Bye!" The line dropped as Yuri rushed inside to get ready.