eighteen - life itself

•* life itself *•

.•* life itself *•.

After the party, the group went their separate ways in pairs. Gaten and Caleb went off to go get Nancy's address from Mary Joe. Finn and Sadie went for a walk. Noah and Millie just stayed at Noah's house.

"Man I don't know what to do," Caleb said to Gaten as they walked the streets with the dim street lights above them.

Gaten shrugged and looked with anticipation down the road. "I think you need to just talk to her."

"Yeah... It's just I feel like I don't even know her but if I did it would be good. Like, if we actually hung out she realizes that I really enjoy being around her. You know the story," he replied in a sad tone.

Little did Caleb know but Gaten was on his own quest for Mary Joe. During the dance when they disappeared, they were really outside of the school making out. Not one of Gaten's finest moments. At the party, they danced more and Gaten really wants to know what's going on with Mary Joe.

They reached Mary Joe's house and knocked on her door. "What if it's too late and-" Caleb had started until Mary Joe opened the door.

Gaten could feel the breath in his throat get caught as he looked at her. He was really nervous.

"Hello, Caleb McLaughlin... And Gaten," she greeted as if she had expected them all along.

"Hey."

"Hi," Caleb said solemnly. "I have a question, Mary Joe if you don't mind."

"Shoot," she shrugged making Caleb's heart speed up anxiously.

"Do you happen to know where N-Nancy's house is?" He asked as he stuttered a little bit in equal embarrassment and nervousness.

Mary Joe gave Caleb a look as if he was a baby. "Aww does Caleb have a cwush!" She cooed as reached out and pinched his cheeks. She fixed her posture and said, "Yes, I do know where she lives."

"Can you tell me?"

"Sure," she agreed with nothing to it. She then turned to Gaten and gave him a confused look. "What's up Gaten?" Gaten's blonde curls bounced up at the mention of his name as he made eye contact with the devil.

"Oh um nothing," he responded quickly. Mary Joe gave him a strange look and after a few seconds, she turned back to Caleb.

"You know where Miss Brenda, the tacky dress lady lives?" Caleb nodded and she continued, "The old wooden mansion at the end of the street with the gazebo in the yard is Nancy's house. She's right down the street from Miss Brenda."

"Oh my gosh. Thank you so much, Mary Joe." Caleb thanked her giddily as he turned around a fled off the steps. "I won't forget this!"

Mary Joe laughed and turned to Gaten with a smirk on her face. "I was wondering when you would come around," she said slyly and she grabbed his hand and pulled him into her house. The last thing you see is his blonde curls darting beneath the door frame.

-

Sadie held onto Finn like he was life itself. Her hands were squeezing his biceps as they walked down the dark streets of Duntown. "Ugh I'm so happy to be back here with you," she exclaimed as she looked up at him with starry eyes.

"I'm happy you are back too, especially with me," he smirked and she laughed letting go of his arm and twirling around. "Are you on something Sadie Sink?"

Sadie gasped at this and hit his arm. "Finn, you know better than to ask questions like that!" She exclaimed as she looked up into his daring brown eyes. "I am high on the happiness of being back, okay?"

"Okay," he laughed as he stopped and looked at her. She stopped twirling around like a fool and looked at him with the same cheeky smile.

"Okay," she smiled as she stepped closer to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and he bent down as they were enveloped in another hug.

"I'm so glad Millie and all them aren't here to watch us right now," Finn said as he stared into the dark abyss down the road.

"Me too, I feel so awkward." Sadie agreed as she pulled back and stepped away from him. She desperately wanted to get something off her chest that she had been holding in for a while.

"Finn, there is something I haven't told you. It's not that big of a deal and it happened at that party at Mary Joe's a few weeks ago. It's the reason I didn't say bye to you before I left for Christmas vacation," Sadie told him as she messed with her fingers.

"What is it?" Finn asked in a scared tone. He didn't remember much from that night and he knew that was a bad thing.

"You tried to kiss me that night and I felt really off about it. I've never had my first kiss and you almost took it being drunk. I guess I was mostly mad at you but I was also just really confused. I was confused on why you would try and kiss me," she admitted softly, not being able to make eye contact.

"Sadie I am so sorry," Finn said as he stood frozen in front of her. He didn't expect her to say any of that. "I'm sorry for being drunk and trying to take your first kiss. I should have never put you in that situation. I feel terrible." Finn hesitated as he thought carefully about what to say next. "I guess I tried to kiss you because you are pretty and I really like you."

Although those words meanings were as clear as day for Finn they left Sadie more confused than ever. What did he mean he really liked her? As a friend or more? 

Finn knew that when he said he liked Sadie he meant more than friends. He has known this for a while probably since the formal. Dancing with her just made his heart jump with joy. It wasn't natural for a friend to feel this way towards another friend.

Sadie didn't want to have this conversation with him right now. It was a deep conversation meant for another time. She just wanted to know what he really meant. Sadie wants him to feel the same weird feeling she has for him.

"Y-you like me?" She asked as she looked up at his face, which was a hole shadow since they were in the dark.

Finn smiled and stepped slightly closer. He said, "Of course I do, Sadie. I can't imagine life without you." Whether what he said meant friends or more Sadie felt happy. Because no matter how he felt he still wanted her in his life.

"Finn you are so kind," she sighed as she hugged him again, burying her head in his chest. Her arms wrapped around his waist as she thought about everything.

Finn closed his eyes and leaned his head on top of hers. The state of mind he was in was peaceful. He got what he needed to get out, no matter if Sadie understood what he meant or not. But by the way Sadie was acting he had a feeling she knew, and it was a matter of time before she reflected his feelings for her back to him.

Finn pulled back only slightly so he could see Sadie's face staring up at him. If he wanted to he could lean down and kiss her right then, but he didn't.

"Sadie, I don't know what you have done to me," he cooed as he looked at her dark blue eyes, shadows skewed across her face. He moved his hands so that they were holding the sides of her face. She closed her eyes as he leaned down and kissed her forehead lightly.

This may have been the most peaceful and serene moment she had ever experienced with Finn. And she could only think, it felt so nice to be in his arms.

-•-

Ok y'all know it's coming. It's getting hard to hold back now. I am surprised I have maintained their friendship for 18 chapters, honestly.

I didn't mean for this chapter to be so deep but I hope y'all liked it. ;)