Chapter 22

WADE's POV

She once asked me what it felt like to take another man's life. I told her it made me feel powerful. To know that you are in control of deciding whether a person lives or not, whether he gets to go home and see his family, whether he gets to see tomorrow. It's almost intoxicating, addicting even, the feeling that comes with killing. This must be how God feels all the time knowing he can decide to wipe over seven billion people off the face of the earth if he decides to.

I love it.

Blood spilled out of the guts of the men around me. I had made my decision. They weren't going to see the light of day ever again. One of them took too long to exit the earth, he groaned as he fell down on his knees, his gun leaving his hand as well. I stared at him, a part of me searching for some kind of pity or mercy, something left of the man she had turned me into a year ago and I found nothing. Nothing would amount for the death of my unborn child.

I raised the gun to point at him, pulling the trigger and watching him fall flat on his face, never hesitating, never quavering. The loud sounds of gun shots coming from all around me could not drown the thoughts going through my mind. People had died tonight, more were going to die. It was utter chaos and I found thrill in it.

Redmond, the town I had grown up in with my mom and Axel. It was where my mom thought it was safe for us to live away from Michael Grace, a place that wasn't poisoned by the disease that is the gang world. It was where I met her and I successfully ruined it when I came back. I brought the Raiders here and a lot more tragedy and deaths. Add that to the list of things that I ruined and broke with my touch and presence.

Daniel Woods. The first man in Redmond whose death was on my hands. I never bothered to know what the police had come up with as an explanation for his mysterious death. If I was ever caught, I would give the same reply, Daniel never did anything to me, I did it for her.

I did it all for her.

If I could go back in time, maybe I would make different choices, better ones infact. The sad thing about life, is that we don't get second chances, there is no undo button and then we have to live with the dire consequences. Some people die on the outside because of the choices they make and others, like me die on the inside, left with only memories of the fools we were before.

Three of my men entered a room in front of me. I could hear screams from inside, a woman's high pitched voice followed by loud cussing and inherent slaps. I walked in, faced with the scared look of a bald naked man, surrounded by three angry Raiders and his shivering naked blonde lover, kneeling on the bed behind them, her hair scattered.

"Please, please no", the man begs loudly.

"What is your name?", I asked.

"H-h-henry"

I blinked once. I had never met an Henry in my life.

"What do you know about the southern Hoodwinkers Henry?", I bent my knees and asked.

"I-i don't know a-anything, I swear", he said.

Jacob, a Raider who had been a little bit too excited to get back into the game raised his hand and dropped it sharply on the Henry's bald head, earning a loud high pitched scream from him.

It's almost feminine.

Almost like...

"I won't ask again", I said flatly, raising my gun to point at the blonde lady on the bed. I wasn't going to kill her, she had done nothing to me or to the people I love. She just happened to be the woman Henry was lusting after or possibly loved and if there's one lesson I have learned in all my thirty years on earth, it's that the one you love is and always will be that weak point your enemies will not hesitate to hit if they have the chance.

"P-please d-don't kill h-her", he stammered.

"You love her?", I found myself asking for some unknown reason.

He nodded and I frowned. He got to be with the woman he loved and I didn't. I had the power, I made the decisions. He didn't. He had nothing.

But he had her.

He had her and I didn't.

I clenched my fists around the gun and closed my eyes before opening them again. I looked around what was probably the biggest room in the house. The only diseased house that was left in Redmond. I would cure the disease that was the southern hoodwinkers. I would be the antidote.

My eyes rested on a framed picture sitting on a stool next to the bed. Henry's smile was bright in it, a redhead with matching freckles on her face perched her head on his shoulder. A little boy and girl who looked strikingly alike, in front of them, their eyes and hair matching that of their mother.

My eyebrows crease in disapproval, "tell me what I need to know", I turned to face him.

"Everything you need is in that briefcase. I'm only a lawyer, I swear. I don't know who the boss is but I hear he's in California", Henry said. I cocked my head towards the briefcase resting on the floor and one of my men walked over quickly and opens it, scanning through the papers.

"Why are you in this town?", I asked.

"One of the hood's properties was gunned down days ago. I had to check out the loss, work out the insurance, you know, that kind of thing"

He was trying so hard not to stammer.

I guess he was talking about the house they held Mae in.

That only made my blood boil more.

"Who do you take your orders from if not from the boss then?", I asked.

"The right hand", he answered quickly, "they call him Jester. He's in New Orleans"

I nodded.

"Boss", the raider scanning the briefcase said and I stared at him. He nodded and I faced Henry again.

I had everything I entered this house for.

"I want to kill you", he whimpered and so did his lover, "not because you're working for those bastards but because you're a cheating scum and your wife deserves better"

He looked so surprised and I merely smiled.

"Do you know who I am?"

He shook his head.

"I'm Wade Steele"

Boom!