Chapter 37

WADE

"Promise me you'll be alright", I turned around to face Stacy, "I won't leave if you're not"

She smiled sheepishly, "I'll be fine Wade", she glanced over her shoulder. A man stood there, about the same height as me, seemingly engrossed in his phone screen but it was all an act. When he thought we weren't looking, he snuck quick glances at us.

Stacy had told me about him, Zachary Miller. Apparently, he was on a visit to Michigan and he lived in San Francisco. When Stacy spoke about him, her blue eyes lit up and there was a small smile on her face, although she didn't realize it.

I made a mental note to find out everything I could about Zachary Miller just to be sure she wasn't in any danger.

"Go find Axel and Bella", she said and I nodded.

"Are you going to do what I suggested?", I asked, studying her face.

"I'll think about it", she trailed, "and if I eventually do, I'll send you the new address"

I sighed in relief. I had spent the night before my departure from Michigan trying to convince Stacy that she may not be safe in the apartment she rented with Bella. I offered to pay for a new one if it was on such short notice but as she claimed, Zach was more than happy to stay with her even though she wasn't as scared for her safety as I was.

I was scared for the safety of everyone I cared about. A small number of the men i had left were in Michigan as well, watching Bella's mother, hopefully without her noticing because I didn't want to alarm her. The rest of the guys were in California and they had found Victor Sanchez.

I said goodbye to Stacy and Zachary from the car window and as I headed for the airport, I thought about Bella. Veronica still hadn't reached out to me and I didn't know where she was. For all I knew, she could have been somewhere in Michigan holding Bella hostage and I was leaving because I couldn't keep Axel waiting when there was now a slight chance that I could find where he was being held.

I pulled down my hoodie and looked up at the sky, at the tall buildings that looked as though they would hit the glistening stars. Then I turned to gaze at the streets for the slightest splash of color. Visible under the illuminating glow of one of the streetlights, lurid graffiti covered one of the walls we passed but I couldn't tell what exactly was painted because the car zoomed past it too fast.

"Yes, thank you", I heard Megan say. I hadn't realized she had been on the phone for a while. She ended the call and stared at the screen thoughtfully.

"Who was that?", I asked.

She looked up, her eyes shifting from me to the driver, "there was trouble but it's been fixed", she said flatly.

"What kind of trouble?"

"Trouble with the jet", she looked away, "but like I said, it's been fixed"

I knew all too well what she meant. The police had always been one of my biggest problems and involving them the last time was a big risk but i needed to 'die' and i needed someone to convince the general public that i did.              

Most if not all the gangs in California were affiliated with different police departments to cover their tracks when it came to business. I just wasn't that lucky in Michigan.

"So new jet then?", I sighed.

She grinned, "helicopter", she said amusingly, "I think you'll like it"

I groaned as I remembered the last helicopter ride hadn't gone too well.