Chapter 32

WADE

When Mrs Sanchez asked why Axel's guards had masks on, his answer was simple. He needed to protect their identity, a privilege the men never got while working with his brother. She thought it was commendable that he cared that much and thus, gave him the pleasure of calling her by her first name- Catalina.

Catalina was a young woman, over ten years younger than her husband, a fifty year old business mogul in California with political dreams. Rumors had it he married her for her father's money and support, all of which he had dismissed as crazy journalist talk. To the public they were in love but in private, Catalina had many lovers, some of which were her husband's very own partners and I would know.

"He'll have to come with us", one of the guards said to Megan, "you two will have to stay here"

Axel slipped a button on his suit out of it's hole, "That's fine", he said, "I'll be back"

He followed them towards a big brown door at the end of the room and disappeared into it.

I took a deep breath.

"Relax Wade", Megan said.

"I have to be in there. I need to hear everything she says"

"But isn't this how these meetings usually go?", she asked.

"It is", I tapped my feet against the white tiled floor.

"Then relax", she said softly, "they'll talk business and they'll be out soon"

The walls in the room were painted white which may have seemed plain and boring if not for the earthly brown furniture, red glass fronted book shelves and abstract art with green frames around them. One object stood out the most, a black grand piano with a sculpture of a naked woman next to it.

"This is a pretty cool place", Megan whispered under her breath.

I nodded slowly, "hey", I called out to one of the guards in the room, "how long do these things usually take?"

"Not long", he shrugged, "but the boss isn't around yet, just his hot wife. It might take a while cause they'll wait for him"

He turned back to the other guards, "I bet you she'll get that one to fuck her too", he snickered under his breath.

Megan shook her head, "Catalina Sanchez seduces all her husband's colleagues?"

I gulped, "sometimes, she succeeds"

"Oh my God, Wade"

"She's a very attractive woman, Megan"

"You could get killed if he found out"

"He knows she has lovers and even if he did, I didn't really care about any thing at that period in my life", I said, "not whether I"d live and definitely not whether I'd die"

"Some actions have long term consequences" 

"Hey", one of the guards interrupted.

Megan sighed as he walked up to us, his gun spinning in his hand.

"Me and the other guys over there don't feel exactly comfortable with your masks", his voice was coarse and he smelled like tobacco.

Megan heaved another heavy sigh.

"Care to share what you're hiding?", he asked, holding his gun still.

We stayed silent. My gaze remained fixed on the door Axel had gone through, there was no sound coming from it. From the corner of my eye, I noticed the men in the room had begun to move closer to us.