Chapter 27

BELLA

I didn't expect myself to get over Wade so easily. He was a big part of my life as a teenager and I carelessly threw away the normal life I built with Stacy and Noah the moment he came back, before i found out Noah was only with me so he could kill Wade of course.

We had gone through so much together but in life, there is a certain breaking point that determines whether or not you are able to go on with a person by your side. For Wade and I, it wasn't when he lost his mother, or when he had to move away to California, it wasn't when I found out he killed people and sold drugs for a living and it wasn't when my mom was kidnapped and Wade apparently died. For Wade and I, it was when we lost our child.

The daylight seeped in through the curtains and into my room. I ran my fingers over my stomach and sighed. Up until a month and a week ago, doing that gave me so much joy. I wanted to have the perfect life with him, I wanted us to be together with our child more than anything but when it comes to Wade, you can never have a normal life and i was either too blind or too in love to see it, or maybe i just didn't want it. I sat up and looked around the room, reaching towards the stool next to my bed and picking up my phone. It was a weekend and I was free, I needed to find other ways to occupy myself besides thinking about him.

I scrolled through my contact list and paused at Micah's name. He was such a good person, friendly and while I didn't have a lot of friends besides Stacy and was willing to be friends with him, I couldn't shake off the feeling that Micah wanted more from me, and I was sure I couldn't give him more, it was just too early.

I turned the phone off and groaned, before getting up and walking towards the door, I opened it and walked out of the room, barefoot. The floor was cold under my feet. I could hear dishes clattering from the kitchen so I knew Stacy was still home. I entered into the kitchen and threw myself on one of the stools behind the counter, dropping my phone in front of me. Stacy was wiggling her hips, singing the chorus of "side to side" by Ariana Grande with her headphones on while washing dishes.

"Stacy", I said, knowing she couldn't hear me. She continued to sing at the top of her lungs.

I stood up from the stool and creeped up behind her. I tapped her shoulder lightly, she gasped and flinched before turning back to see it was just me. I laughed as she shook her head and turned off the music.

"Why would you scare me like that?", she rolled her eyes and asked.

I continued to laugh, "your voice is horrible"

She pursed her lips as she turned to face the dishes she was rinsing, "like you can do any better Bella"

I skipped back to the seat and sat down, resting my elbow on the counter and placing my head on my open palm. "I didn't think you would still be home when I woke up"

"That's because you're up early", she turned off the tap and dried her hands with a napkin.

"My body's still used to being up before eight am", I sighed, "I miss when I was unemployed"

She chuckled and turned to face me, leaning on the kitchen sink and folding her arms across her chest, "I think it's a good thing that you got busy"

I knew a good thing I got busy.

"Me too", I said, "but now I'm bored. I need ideas on things to do this weekend"

She raised an eyebrow, "you don't do anything during the weekend besides sit on the couch and watch movies"

I smiled innocently, "but I want to do something different today"

"Besides think about Wade?"

I frowned at her, "you promised you wouldn't say his name ever again"

She pushed herself off the sink and walked towards the counter. The shirt she wore was blue, it was big and reached just above her knees. It was a basketball jersey, Stacy had said it belonged to her favorite player although i couldn't remember his name because i never watched the sport. "I'm sorry", she said, "it's nice to see you're willing to get out of the house today"

"I feel much better about the whole thing honestly", I dropped my hands as she sat next to me on a different stool, "I thought about him this morning and I didn't break down in tears. I don't know about you but that spells out progress to me"

Stacy chuckled, "you're right. It does"

"I mean all Wade did was bring his ex to live in his house, keep that from me and then break up with me...", I said quickly, "and let's not forget he kicked me out"

Stacy studied me, "you don't sound like you're over him right now"

I wasn't.

"I never said I was over him, I said I was making progress"

"I don't think he broke up with you because of the ex though", she said.

"I don't care", I shrugged, "all I know is I didn't fit into Wade's life and she did. I couldn't beat that"

Stacy stood up, "stop thinking about Wade", she grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me up, "go out Bella, have fun. I know you don't have any friends besides me-", she pretended to flip her braided hair dramatically and grinned, "-but don't you have a colleague from work or something?"

I thought about Micah. "Well, there is Micah Ramsey"

"I'm sorry, did you just say, Ramsey", Stacy squeaked and I laughed.

"I knew that would get your attention", I said, "Aaron's son, Micah works at Rova and he's pretty cool"

"Pretty cool?", Stacy raised an eyebrow, "then why haven't I heard about this 'pretty cool' guy until today?"

"Because I didn't think Micah and I would be friends", I said, "I had plans of staying away from the male gender until I knew for sure I was over Wade"

"Oh so that's where this progress came from", Stacy spoke more to herself than she spoke to me.

"No!", I practically screamed and Stacy jumped. "That's not where the progress came from. Micah is just my friend"

She smirked, "okay Bella, I believe you", her tone was sarcastic, "I have to go see a new client today so I'm going to shower now"

She walked away from me and stopped when she got to the door, "you should totally call your pretty cool friend, you guys can hang out today"

She laughed to herself and walked out. I was alone again and I sighed to myself. I didn't want the thoughts about Wade to creep up on me. I grabbed my phone, turned it on and scrolled to my contacts and then I called Micah.

"So what do you want to do today?", Micah asked as we stood outside my apartment building three hours later.

"I don't know really", I said softly, "I'm sorry, I just didn't want to be alone today"

Micah smiled at me, an uneven smile that met his eyes, he looked so beautiful when he smiled. "it's no problem Bella, the weather is cool today", he said, "let's take a walk and we'll figure out something on the way"

I gave him a quick nod, "okay". We walked down the street, on the sidewalk and compared to how I had been the past few days, it was getting better. I was finally getting better.