Chapter 34

WADE

The shovel hit the earth with a heavy thud. For a moment, I could actually see through it, back to the first day I met Felix, when he bust into one of our house while he was in a fist fight with one of the other men, a fight I had found to be entertaining at first, until I realized the other man was Megan.

It was her first day with the Raiders. Megan's hair was cut shot, in an almost cropped hairstyle. It was almost obvious that she was a woman- if one had looked closely and paid attention to her light voice. Felix, however was drunk and as such, he got a beating handed to him by "the new guy".

Next to me, Megan sniffed and wiped her tears as she sobbed silently. She rested her chin on the end of the shovel as she gazed at the spot she had buried Felix.

"I wish he hadn't come with us", she said.

I felt a pang of guilt in my chest. Megan had been against Felix travelling to California with us. If only I had said no, he would have stayed. I knew he wouldn't have asked anything more. He would be alive, back in new orleans with Mia and the rest of the men and Megan would have gone back to him.

"I'm so sorry", I pulled Megan in for a hug. She sobbed into my bare chest as the shovel fell from her hand. She smelled like dust. I could have dug the hole and buried Felix's body myself but she had insisted and I felt like I would be intruding on a personal moment.

"It's not your fault Wade", she said amidst sobs, but I didn't believe that. Everything happening at this point was my fault and I needed to fix it.

"Only one person is to blame for this", she released me and stared off into the small forest. "Catalina Sanchez"

"And we're going to get her", I held her face in both my hands, "but right now, I have to go to Michigan please. I have to find out what happened to Bella"

I tried my best to hide it from Megan but, I was going crazy. After the phone fell from my hand when I heard Stacy's words, the same thought went through my head- I lost Bella and Axel on the same day.

Veronica had taken Bella and if I didn't find them on time, I feared for what she might do to Bella.

Megan shook her head and picked up the shovel. "Let's go back to the cabin. We have to plan"

A loud screeching sound scared me when we walked into the cabin. A cat slid across the floor, hissing violently at me. I frowned at it, its bright green eyes regarding me for a moment before walking towards a corner of the room where a young lady stood.

"I was beginning to think you both left without saying goodbye", she moved towards us swiftly.

Her hair was dyed pink and packed into a tight bun. The cat walked towards us and stood by her side, it's glare not leaving my face.

"How's my patient doing?", she stood on her toes and leaned in to study my face.

She looked young- college student type of young and she had a petite figure.

I walked two steps back and Megan stood protectively in front of me.

"He's fine Ava", she said, "we're leaving soon"

Ava pouted sadly, "oh? But he's not fit to travel over long distances yet"

"I'm not staying here", I said flatly, "I have..."

"Places to be and people to kill", Ava waved her hand dismissively, "I know. But you'll have to be smart about it as well. You may do as you please and leave if you want to but I guarantee you, you won't make it very far before you eventually die"