Chapter 44

WADE

Her screams made my skin crawl- but not in a bad way. If anything, it made me satisfied.

"That's enough", I said and Arthur released her. She fell to the floor immediately with a heavy thud, wailing softly.

"Leave us alone. Go get everything I told you about ready", he said, "and tell the men to be on high alert"

He nodded and walked past me, out of the basement. I heard the door shut and cocked my head. She was trying to crawl to the side but she couldn't do that with one broken arm and broken legs.

"Where do you think you're going Ronnie?", I asked.

She cried loudly and then she fell on her back and turned to me, "please"

Her voice was weak and frail. It was almost like how Bella sounded when I saw her- except Veronica still had so much energy in her. Bella was hanging on to her energy by a single thread and I was going to cut every single one of Ronnie's threads until she knew how that felt.

"Please?", I scoffed and walked towards her, "you know how I feel about begging Ronnie", I crouched in front of her, "it makes you look weak"

I pushed her hair away from her face, placing it behind her ear. Then I ran my fingers down her cheek, "you're so beautiful", I smiled.

She coughed, "Wade", she placed her good hand on mine, "I love you. Everything I did, I did it because I love you"

I nodded, "I know", I glanced around the basement, "I know what love is like", I said, "we do stupid things when we're in love, don't we?", I looked back at her, "don't look at me like that, you've gotten really weak, you know?"

She inhaled quick, shaky breaths.

"You used to be able to withstand torture", I said, "two broken legs and you already gave up your leader to us"

"No", she said quickly, "he wasn't my leader. I was always a raider"

I chuckled and shook my head, "no, you weren't", I said, "now, let's hurry up, shall we? I don't have all day"

I pulled a pocket knife out of my pocket and traced it down her face. She gasped and tried to pull my hand away.

"Relax", I said, "I'm not going to cut you", I added, "I have something more fun planned for us"

I stood and pulled my phone out of my pocket, dialing Arthur's number. I listened to it ring twice before he picked up.

"Boss", he said.

"Is it ready?"

"Yes"

"Come get her then"

I hung up and went back to sit on the chair. I crossed my legs and watched her. She started to cry again; this time louder than before. I imagined it was Bella lying on the floor and she was crying- because Veronica hurt her. I imagined her begging for her life like Ronnie was. It only made me angrier.

The door to the basement opened behind me and I heard footsteps walk quickly down the steel stairs. Two of the men moved forward and lifted her. Then they carried her past me. I glanced around the basement again. Axel and Bella had spent nights here- along with the rest of those families. I saved them. Now it didn't matter what happened next as long as they were safe.

I turned around and walked towards the stairs and out of the basement. Besides the bodies on the floor, the house looked normal- like it was any other family house. I walked towards the open front door. All the men were outside, at certain points in the house. Megan stood next to the gate. As soon as she saw me, she walked over quickly.