Chapter 6: The Aftermath

The glass littered the ground. I couldn't see anything but the cold, wet pavement in front of me. I realized that I was upside down, but I coudldn't turn my head. I tried to move my arms. Fortunately I was able to get one arm free. I moved it around, trying to slowly, carefully feel my surroundings. Good. I thought. I'm still strapped in my seat. I could vaguely hear the sound of sirens approaching. Then the realization hit me.

"Collin!" I screamed. "Collin are you okay!?" My voice was raspy and it hurt to talk, but I had to see if Collin was okay. I couldn't see him. If I could just move my head...I reached down for my seat belt and attempted to undo it. Desperately I grappled with the strap. I was suddently feeling very claustrophobic. The car was completely crunched. It didn't even look like a car anymore.

The sirens were everywhere now. I could see the flashing lights and voices were all over.

"Help," I cried. My voice sounded so broken. "Help me." The tears were streaming down my face. There was a flash of light and then it went black again.

                                                                                ****

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. All I could hear were the annoying sounds of the machine as I woke to a white room. I could make out the ceiling tiles. My throat was extremely dry and for a second I wondered if I'd ever be able to talk again. My Mom was sitting in the chair next to my bed. She was asleep. It looked like it was night but I couldn't tell. I couldn't turn my head too much. I ached all over.

"Mom," I croaked. She didn't stir. I suppose my voice was barely a whisper. I tried again, this time louder. "Mom!" She jumped at the sound of my voice and came over to me.

"Oh Jake! You're awake!!" She cried, gingerly wrapping her arms around me. "I was so incredibly worried I was gonna lose you!" She had fresh tears running down her face, which was alll red and blotchy from her previous crying. She sniffled.

"Where's Dad?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper. She looked at my sadly.

"He's with Collin," she stated, her eyes avoiding mine.

"How is he? Is he alright?" I asked, even though I wasn't sure I wanted to hear the answer. She hesitated. "Mom?" The tears continued to stream down her face, despite her pathetic attempt to wipe them.

"He's fine Jake. He's gonna be just fine," she said, however unconvincingly. I felt the knot form in my throat. I could no longer speak. I could feel tears leaking out the side of my eyes and falling down towards my ears. I lifted my arm up to wipe them. I grimaced.

"Honey, just relax. Take it easy. I'll go tell your Dad you're awake." She left without another word, slipping out the large door. I tried to reign in my breathing. It felt so ragged. The door opened sooner than I expected, but it wasn't my Dad.

Sean stood in the doorway, the saddest expression I've ever seen on his face. I could tell he'd been crying, as he slowly made his way over to me. He sat in the chair where my Mom was previously sitting and scooted it over next to the bed.

"Oh my god Jake." He breathed. "I thought-I....I thought-," he stammered. I reached my hand out for him. He grabbed it and held it tightly.

"I thought you were gone...I...I can't even," he started sobbing quietly, putting his head down on my hand as he held it in his.

"It's okay," I whispered. He looked up at me, his face tear streaked.

"I was so scared," he whispered back. I sniffed. A fresh tear escaped my eye and ran down my cheek. Sean reached up and brushed it away, gently sliding his fingers over my face and then caressing my cheek. I closed my eyes.