Chapter 29: His Presence is Felt

It felt like I was in between being asleep and being awake. I knew Sean had laid down beside me and held me as I started to fall asleep, and I remember my mom's words echoing around in my head as I dozed off. I was so exhausted from sobbing and crying and just all of the emotions associated with what happened. Maybe it was all a dream, a horrible nightmare and I would wake up soon. However, I wasn't entirely sure I was asleep at the moment. A voice, distant at first, started calling my name.

"Jake," it said. "Jake, wake up!" I couldn't make out whose voice it was. It sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite grasp it.

"Sean?" I mumbled, fumbling around. My eyelids were being very stubborn. They felt so heavy and hard to lift. My voice sounded really rough, like I had been sedated or something. The person chuckled at me.

"Jake, c'mon. Wake up!" it said. I knew the speaker was a male obviously, so I assumed it was Sean because he was next to me last I remembered.

"Sean...just let me sleep!" I groaned, trying to turn over. My body felt so stiff and sore for some reason. I heard him chuckle again.

"I'm not Sean," he said. "Open your eyes."

I groaned again, my eyelids were fluttering but they were still so heavy. Damn what happened to me? It's never been this hard to wake up before. I could tell the room was light from behind my eyelids, so I figured it must be morning by now. I probably slept for a long time. But then, if it wasn't Sean coaxing me to awaken, then where was he? And who was in my bedroom?

"My eyelids are too heavy," I whined, still sounding sleepy.

"I want to see you. Open your eyes Jake," said the voice, calm as ever. This warm feeling suddenly washed over me. It was one of the most intense feelings I had ever experienced. It was as if I was drugged or something. I don't remember taking anything? "Open your eyes," the voice commanded. My eyelids fluttered again, and I concentrated and focused all my energy on opening them. God it was so hard.

They finally flew open, and I immediately squinted in the bright light flooding the room. I slowly waited for my eyes to adjust to my surroundings. I scrunched up my face in confusion. Where was I? I was laying in a canopy bed, the white curtains were flowing down the sides. There was a window on the wall to my left, and the light was shining so brightly through it that I couldn't make out anything that was outside. I slowly scanned the room.

"Hey bud," came the voice again. At first I couldn't see anyone else in the room, but the voice was crystal clear to me now. I got goose bumps all over my skin at the sound of that voice. That's when I spotted him, leaning against the wall on the right off to the side of the bed. A huge smile was radiating off his face. I bolted up to a sitting position in the bed.

"What..how?" I fumbled, I was so confused. "Where am I?" He continued smiliing as he crossed the room and approached the bed, sitting down to my right gently, his blue eyes sparkling.

"I'm so proud of you Jake," he said, seemingly ignoring my confused questions. Tears sprang to my eyes.

"Am I dreaming?" I asked uncertainly, causing him to smile once more.

"Of course you are," he replied, his expression content.

"So this isn't real? You're not real?" I asked. "I'm in a dream." The realization dawned on me and I thought about pinching myself, but then I wasn't sure I wanted to wake up yet, just seeing him as if he were with me was taking my breath away. He chuckled once more.

"Remember in Harry Potter, in the last book, when Harry sees Dumbledore?" He asked, watching me intensely. I nodded. "Well, just because it's a dream, doesn't mean it isn't real," he explained.