Chapter 12: Inquiring Minds

I woke up to the realization that I was in Sean's bed in nothing but my underwear. My cheeks flushed with embarrassment. Sean was laying bedside me on his side, I could just barely make out his breathing. He was still asleep.

Looking down at myself, I quickly covered my face with my hands. The bruises on my body were beginning to fade but some were still visible. The huge cut on my side had since scabbed over and started to peel off, leaving what I figured would eventually be a scar. I sighed in spite of myself.

Feeling unattractive, I suddenly wished I was dressed but I didn't want to disturb Sean after already doing that last night to him. He looked so peaceful. I tried to turn over onto my back, but my damn cast caught in the sheets and made the whole mattress move slightly. I froze as Sean stirred.

"Morning," he said as he opened his beautiful brown eyes and smiled sweetly at me. I smiled back.

"Good morning," I replied. He closed his eyes again, trying to rid them of sleep. A small smile formed on his lips. I took this opportunity to try to get out of the bed and get to my clothes on the floor. I could feel Sean's eyes on me, making me hurriedly tug my pants over my cast and throw my shirt on.

"Is something wrong?" He asked, sitting up in bed.

"No," I said quickly, feeling better now that I was dressed. He regarded me carefully for a moment.

"Don't do that Jake," he said evenly. I knitted my eyebrows.

"Do what?" I asked a little too innocently. He rolled his eyes and sighed loudly.

"You know what I'm talking about. I don't understand why it's bothering you. It doesn't bother me," he said, his eyes piercing into me. I shrugged and looked down at the floor.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Jake what can I do to make you understand?" He asked, pinching the bridge of his nose and squeezing his eyes shut. I suddenly felt angry.

"You know what? You don't understand," I shook my head, annoyed. Sean looked at me with a hurt expression.

"I'm trying to but you won't let me," he answered. I huffed and shifted my weight.

"No. You're trying to get me to just get over it, because that's how you think it works. Well guess what? It doesn't work that way! I'm not gonna suddenly wake up one morning and be better!" I stamped my foot, shoving my hands into my pockets. Sean just sat there looking dejected. He hung is head and looked away from me.

"I'm just trying to help," he muttered softly.

"It's not up to you to-to fix me!" I exclaimed. He gasped.

"Is that what you think? That you're just a project for me to fix!? Jake..I'm in love with you. I'm trying to be there for you because you're going through a hard time!" He raised his voice.

"You don't know what it's like to be going along as you always have and suddenly lose who's always been there for you and have your body look like some disgusting...." I shrugged not knowing what else to say. Sean shook his head sadly.

"Oh Jake." He sighed.

"I'm not perfect Sean," I said. He looked deeply into my eyes then.

"No you're not Jake, nobody is. You're you, my best friend, someone I want to be with," he said evenly.

"Why do you want to be with me?" I asked quietly, my voice catching. Sean stood up and crossed the room, stopping in front of me.

"Because I'm in love with you," he stated evenly, wrapping me in a tight hug. I clung to him tightly, feeling as though I might fall over. I sniffed slightly.