Chapter 18: Let It Out

I scowled in defiance as I sat there in the kitchen. Sean's mom looked at me apologetically as I stared down at the suddenly very interesting counter top.

"What do you want?" I growled, trying my best to remain calm. I didn't want to talk to him right now. I wasn't in the mood for a genuine heart to heart if that was what he was after.

"Jake I just want to talk. We need to talk," he stammered, raising his hands up to show he meant no harm.

"I'm not in the mood," I said curtly. I pushed myself off the stool and got up, moving to leave the room. I walked around him when he caught my arm.

"Please," he pleaded, looking at me sideways. Without turning to look at him, I froze. I was too exhausted, frustrated, and worried about Sean and our fight to deal with this right now.

"Sorry you wasted your trip over here," I said, shrugging out of his grip and continuing to walk towards the stairs.

"Jake Holmes you will not walk away from your father!" He hollered. I stopped in my tracks, my back to him.

"You want to talk? Then talk!" I shouted, causing Kristen to flinch.

"Um..I'll just give you guys some privacy," she mumbled awkwardly as she shuffled out of the room. My back was to my dad and I didn't turn around. I heard him walking up behind me.

"We are your family and you need to stop being stupid and come back home," Dad said, attempting to put his hand on my shoulder. His tone was still harsh and authoritative. I didn't like that one bit.

"Yeah you've sure treated me like family," I replied sarcastically. Smack! He slapped me hard across my face. He immediately covered his mouth in shock.

"Jake, I'm-I'm sorry I didn't mean to do that," his voice was quieter now. I shook my head as I brought my hand up to my stinging cheek.

"You should go," I said flatly, motioning to the front door. He slumped his shoulders and looked at me helplessly.

"I want you to come home."

"I'm not ready to go home. In fact, I don't know if I'll ever want to go back there," I said, avoiding his eyes. His shoulders fell further if that was even possible.

"I'm so sorry son. I'm a horrible father. Truth is I don't know what to do," he sighed deeply.

"Please just go," I said, snapping my eyes shut. Without saying another word, dad slipped out the door and I heard the engine of his car start. I stayed rooted to the spot until the sounds of the engine faded and I was sure he was gone. I opened my eyes and trudged upstairs to the guest room where I was staying. Pulling out my phone, I decided to call Sean. Where has he been?

He didn't answer, I got his voicemail. 'Hey it's me, just wondering where you are. I love you and I'm sorry. Please come home? Call me when you get this. Bye.' I sighed and ended the call. It was getting late and I was feeling so tired. I just wanted this horrible day to be over with already.

The bedroom door was open but I heard a knock. I looked up to see Kristen standing in the doorway, looking at me sadly.

"You okay hun?" She asked gently. I nodded. I brushed my fingertips against my cheek again, remembering my dad had slapped me. I winced at the fading stinging sensation.

"Have you heard from Sean? I'm worried. We had a fight earlier and I just messed up everything. I seem to be doing that a lot lately," I laughed bitterly, trying to pretend I was making a joke of it. She shook her head.

"Jake stop that. You didn't mess anything up. All of us make mistakes. I talked to Sean on the phone while your dad was here," she replied.

"Is he alright?" I asked sadly. She smilied.