Chapter 28: The Things That Hurt

I hugged my coat to me tightly as I got out of the car and walked towards the restaurant. It was a modest little sandwich shop. I had told my dad I would meet him here for lunch when he called earlier to remind me about meeting up. I loved my dad but I was worried about what he was wanting to talk about. I knew it probably had to do with my mom and Thanksgiving this year. To be honest, I didn't know what to think. So I wasn't going to get the Thanksgiving dinner I had grown accustomed to having this year. So much had changed. When I really thought about it though, I was so happy with Sean that I could deal without having my mother's delicious food this year. He was the most important thing to me now.

I stepped inside the door and the warmer air from inside washed over me. I rubbed my hands together to warm them up a little before looking around and walking further into the shop. People were in line ordering various sandwiches. They were plenty busy and they only had one person taking orders. I felt bad for the guy. I looked over in his direction. He was pretty attractive, his brown hair was buzzed real short, and his facial hair was neatly trimmed. Okay he was hot. I looked around the room trying to spot my dad. I couldn't see him so I decided to go up and begin ordering a sandwich for myself since my stomach was rumbling.

I had never been to this place before, so it took me a second to understand what people were doing. Everyone was writing on a piece of paper and I quickly realized I needed to fill one out with what I wanted before I got up to the guy behind the counter. I grabbed a pen from the available cup and quickly filled out the little paper. I was in the mood for just a simple turkey and cheese sandwhich, complete with lettuce, mayo, and onions. My mouth watered at the thoughts of the sandwich, which also came with an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. The line was moving fairly quickly and it wasn't long before I stood directly opposite the nice looking employee. His green eyes took me in slowly, as if he was memorizing every detail of my appearance. I almost blushed but quickly brushed off the look.

"How were you today?" He asked kindly as I handed my paper to him. He took it from my hand gently, flashing his bright beautiful teeth at me. His teeth were perfectly straight.

"I'm doing good thanks," I replied, giving him a small smile. I averted my gaze briefly before focusing back on him. I noticed his eyes were looking down to my left, and I quickly realized he was taking in the appearance of the ring on my finger. Boy this guy was super obvious. Before I could stop myself I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks. I had never been hit on before. I almost didn't think something like this would ever happen. He flashed me a broad grin as I shifted my weight to my one foot.

"Alright so the total is $6.45," he said, and I took out the cash I had in my wallet. "Here's your cup, and you can go ahead and fill it up over there," he said, pointing to the wall to my left. I nodded in understanding.

"Thanks," I said before shuffling away from the counter and over to the fountains to fill my cup with some Coke. I put a lid on the cup after I filled it and then made sure to get a straw. I then wandered over and found an empty table, wondering where my dad was. He should be here by now.

I pulled out my phone to occupy my time and waited for my name to be called, occasionally sipping from my straw absent-mindedly. Suddenly the sound of my dad's voice caught my attention.

"Would you just come on? You're the one who wanted to come!" He snapped, coming in the doorway. He was talking over his shoulder. I furrowed my eyebrows and stood up as I watched him walk through the doorway. She came in behind him rather reluctantly, her purse slung over her shoulder and her head was down. She focused on the floor. I rolled my eyed and sighed, running my hand over my face. I should've known something like this was what was going to happen. My mother wanted to talk about Thanksgiving. Nevermind that I was getting married in less than a month. She hadn't even said anything about it. Dad surveyed the restaurant before his eyes landed on me. He quickly motioned for her to follow before making his way over to my table. I avoided his gaze as he approached, still standing rooted to the spot next to where I was sitting, annoyance clearly written all over my face.