Chapter 30: Thanksgiving

"Hey Jake can you give me a hand?" Kristen called, her voice carrying down the hallway. I was busy staring at my reflection in the bathroom mirror as I washed my hands.

"Yeah. Just a sec!" I replied. I finished rinsing the soap away and then turned off the faucet, grabbing the hand towel nearby. Looking back in the mirror, I stared at myself for a couple more seconds. I had put on a brave face for everyone else's sake, but what my mom said had really bothered me. On top of that, I was worried about Sean and how the talk with my parents was going to go. I just hoped dinner today for Thanksgiving would go smoothly. Sean and I were spending it with his mom and grandparents. I had nothing to worry about though, as everyone already knew about our upcoming wedding and his grandpa and grandma had been nothing but supportive.

I quickly remembered Kristen needed my help and shuffled out of the bathroom and down the hallway. Sean and I had driven over here together earlier. I don't know why he waited until today to talk to my dad and maybe my mom about everything.

"Hey how can I help?" I asked as I entered theb kitchen.

"Can you get the rolls ready and put them in the oven?" She asked.

"Of course," I said, turning towards the dough. "So um, thanks for doing this." Kristen stopped working with the turkey and turned to face me.

"I'm glad to have everyone for Thanksgiving," she replied, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I wonder how it's going with my parents. You didn't have to invite them you know," I told her. She shook her head's

"They're your parents Jake. They may have a funny way of showing it sometimes but they love you. I'd be more than happy to have everyone here for the holiday." She smiled reassuringly. I nodded.

"I think my dad will for sure come," I said. "I hope everything goes smoothly and Sean is okay right now." Kristen nodded her head in agreement.

"Everything will be fine. We're just going to have a nice dinner with everyone. No big deal honey," she said, smiling warmly at me. I was so glad to have her support.

"You know... sometimes I don't know what Sean and I would've done without you," I mumbled quietly. Kristen wrapped her arms around me and pulled me into a warm hug.

"I always be here for you. I love you both so much," she replied, her eyes twinkling. They almost seemed to water a little bit she she wiped at her eyes after pulling back to look at me. She turned back to the turkey silently. I smiled. Returning to the rolls I added "I love you too." I meant it. This woman had done so much for me over the years and especially recently. She truly was my mom. My other mom. I was lucky to have her.

As we both continued to get everything ready for dinner, I checked the oven to make sure the rolls weren't burning, when warm strong arms circled around my waist. I smiled and turned my head to the side to kiss him.

"I didn't hear you come in. How did it go? I asked, leaning in to let our lips touch. Sean smiled tiredly at me. He rested his forehead against mine.

"Hey Sean. How'd it go?" Kristen asked as she turned around to face us, apparently finishing up with whatever she was doing. Sean let out a sigh and turned so he could look at his mom.

"Erm. Well....uh..your dad said he's coming Jake," I must've let my disappointment show because Kristen looked at me sadly and Sean hugged me again.

"So that's a no?" I asked. Kristen looked at Sean expectantly.

"I'm sorry babe," Sean replied, looking away. I grabbed his hand.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I love you," I said, taking his hand in nine. I smiled at him and he returned it. "It's her loss." Sean nodded in agreement.