Chapter 16: Feeling Hot and Bothered

(Author's Note: This chapter is a little steamy, nothing graphic though)

Slowly pulling the car into Sean's driveway, I parked and turned the key off. I sighed deeply, resting my head on the steering wheel for a bit and closing my eyes. I felt completely drained and void of all emotion. Forcing myself to unbuckle my seatbelt, I told myself not to cry. I was done with that. I got out of the car slowly, shut the door and locked it, before trudging up the driveway and towards the front door.

I slipped Sean's house key into the lock since it was on his key ring and pushed open the door. Most of the lights were off inside, as it was almost 11 by now, and Sean and his mom were nowhere to be seen. Slipping my shoes off by the front door I readjusted my bag that was slung over my shoulder and moved into the house. I wasn't sure if Sean's mom would be okay with me staying here, so I wrung my hands nervously and I searched for any sign of her. The faint sound of the television could be heard from the living room at the back of the house, so I made my way in that direction.

I stumbled into the room and found Sean's sleeping form on the couch, the TV going in the background. He looked so peaceful. His beautiful eyelashes were so long and perfect, and he had the most peaceful expression on his face. He was laying on his side, and I could barely make out his chest rising and falling slightly. I couldn't seem to peel my eyes off of him, and I was conflicted on whether or not to wake him.

I decided to take my bag upstairs to his bedroom first, hoping I could at least spend the night here. I made my way out of the living room and over to the steps, tip toeing up in case Sean's mom was already asleep. Her room was on the main floor but I figured it wouldn't hurt to be quiet.

I flicked on the light in Sean's bedroom and looked around, setting my bag on the ground. I decided to hurry and change clothes into some basketball shorts and a simple white tee. I was desperately tired and just wanted to close my eyes for a little bit. My eyelids felt so heavy. I grabbed my toothbrush that I had packed and some toothpaste and sauntered off to the bathrrom and quickly brushed my teeth. Once that was done, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I halted in the doorway, wondering if it was a sleepy Sean or Kristen.

"Hey hun. How'd it go?" Kristen said gently as she came into view at the top of the stairs. She was already dressed in some pajamas and had her hair down loose, falling over her shoulders. I looked down at my feet, not quite knowing how to answer that. I shrugged and ran a hand over my face.

She closed the distance between us and I found myself being embraced in a hug. She patted my back gently.

"I'm so sorry Jake. It's not fair. I can't understand why your mom is being like this," she said. I shook my head.

"I just I...I um..." I stammered, looking at her briefly.

"Jake you don't even have to ask. Of course you can stay here. I already said you are like my son. You and Sean are my boys," she smiled sweetly.

"Kristen I can't thank you enough for being so good to me," I told her. She hugged me again briefly.

"It's good to have you here Jake. Well, I'm off to bed. You boys should be too. I know Sean's been waiting up for you," she said. I snorted.

"Yeah it looks like Sean was successful with that," I joked, trying to lighten the mood. Kristen shook her head and chuckled.

"You know how he can be without his beauty sleep. Well goodnight Jake. I hope you get some good rest," she said, patting my shoulder as she turned to walk back downstairs. I lingered a bit before turning off the bathrrom light and heading back to Sean's room to put away my things.

Once that was finished, I wandered down the steps and back into the living room. Sean was still in the same position on the couch as I left him earlier. I sat down on the very edge of the couch where I could fit and gently reached out and touched his cheek, running my finger down towards his jaw. I thought about when we first met in 2nd grade, and how he always helped me with my homework. We had always hung out together whenever we could since we met and we hardly ever fought. Sitting there looking at him, I realized I have always loved him. He's always been there for me. Between this beautiful boy and my awesome brother Collin, I had always been cared for and loved. I was closer to them then I ever was to either of my parents. Now that Collin was gone, it really opened my eyes to how much Sean has been a part of my life. My heart fluttered at all of these thoughts. It made me feel like a teenager getting butterflies when he gets his first kiss.