Chapter 22: The Moment Everyone Waits For

[Photo is of Sean!]

Sean has been acting so weird since we got home from dinner with his mom and my dad. He had been especially cryptic when I asked him about it and evasive. He was unsually silent most of the night. I tried to shrug it off and ignore it, but inside it was worrying me. Had I done something? Did something happen that made him upset?

I stripped down to my underwear and slid into bed, feeling tired. I couldn't stop worrying about what was wrong with my boyfriend. He was still int the living room watcing TV. I had asked if he was coming to bed and he had said 'Yeah in a little bit,' and went back to watching TV. It felt weird to lay here without him next to me but I was pretty tired and eventually found myself drifting off to sleep. Maybe he was mad at me I thought to myself as my eyes slid shut.

* * * *

The daylight was streaming through the blinds when my eyes blinked open. I yawned and rolled over. Sean wasn't here. I'm pretty sure he did finally come to bed last night after I'd fallen asleep but now he was gone before I woke up. He must be mad at me. He's completely avoiding me and he won't even tell me why. In all our years being friends, he's never acted this way. Why wouldn't he just talk to me?

I sighed and sat up in bed, moving over to the edge and stretching. I raised my arms above my head and yawned again when something caught my eye. There was a vase of flowers on the nightstand on my side of the bed. I reached over to grab a piece of paper that was situated underneath the vase. The flowers were beautiful. They were pink and red roses. I found myself blushing like a girl. Oh my god I've been given flowers and I'm freaking out over it. I never thought I'd care to receive flowers, but since Sean had given them to me I loved it. It was pretty romantic even though it was super cheesy.

I looked at the piece of paper in my hands and carefully unfolded it. Sean's handwriting was kind of sloppy which made me chuckle, but I couldn't help but smile widely when I read what he had written.

Babe,

Get your ass out of bed already! Sorry I had to run to work to let Sarah in (she forgot her keys.)

Meet me for breakfast at Jeremiah's at 10. Love you!

I read his little note over and over again. This was so sweet. I guess he figured he had to make up for our awkward dinner last night. I have to say, I didn't know Sean could be this romantic, or that I'd enjoy it this much. I checked the time on the alarm clock, it was 9:30. Shit! I hurried out of bed and into our bathroom, stepping out of my underwear and quickly taking a shower. I was giddy with excitment. I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my waist, proceeding back into the bedroom to pick out something to wear. I ended up deciding on a grey button down shirt and some dark jeans. I hurried down the hallway and grabbed my coat and keys, before shuffling out of the apartment at 9:40. That was record time for me.

* * * *

I pulled into the parking lot at the restaurant Jeremiah's and looked around for Sean's car. I spotted it and then noticed him standing by the entrance door looking at his phone. I all but jumped out of the car and locked it before making my way towards him.

"You sir, are being incredibly romantic this morning," I said cheerfully, causing him to look up.

"I thought you might like it," he answered a little timidly. A broad smile spread over my face.

"I love it!" I exclaimed as we made our way inside. The red haired and freckly hostess asked us how many people and we told her it was for two. She smiled and winked at me, which I found confusing. Did she know we were together or something?

Sean and I sat down opposite each other and looked at our menus.

"Would you like anything to drink?" The hostess asked, twirling her hair slightly.