Chapter 10: Simple Things are the Best

"What are you guys smiling about?" I asked, feeling as though they knew something that I didn't. It was seriously getting on my nerves.

"It's nothing," Mom said, looking down at the counter where she sat, a small grin playing at her lips. My dad just busied himself with cooking.

"Okay..." I said slowly, training my eyes on both of them. "Guys please. I know I was in the hospital a couple of days ago and with everything that's happened..." I trailed off. Dad looked up. then flicked his eyes over to my mother and giving her a knowing look.

"Jake-" she started but I cut her off.

"I don't want you guys forcing a smile and pretending to be happy for my sake. I can see right through it," I finished. Dad's eyes widened in surprise. He came around from behind the counter and gripped my shoulders firmly.

"Jake it's not like that at all," he said, shaking his head. "Your mother and I are genuinly happy that you are feeling better. Yeah things have been rough lately, and I'm not going to pretend they haven't. It's just...we're trying our best to come to terms with everything and after what happened it's nice to see things return to normal a little bit." He bit his lip as he said that last part, most likely seeing the cringe on my face as I heard it leave his lips.

"Normal huh Dad?" I asked incredulously. He clamped his eyes shut tightly and sighed, realizing what I meant.

"That's not what I meant." He said evenly.

"I know what you meant. I also know that things will never be normal again," I explained. Dad opened his eyes and looked away from me.

"I know Jake. I'm just glad to see you hanging out with Sean a little like you used to that's all," he said. My mom glanced at us from her position on the bar stool before returning her gaze to a magazine she was looking at.

"Yeah me too. Although he's been acting kinda weird lately.," I admitted.

"You guys just have some things to discuss, and I know Sean seems to want to set aside some time to talk them through," Dad replied. I felt my cheeks start to flush with embarrassment. Did he know?

"Erm...what are you talking about?" I asked casually, trying to pretend like I was clueless as to what it was Sean wanted to talk about. Of course my parents had to suspect something after what had happened, since I never explained and they knew something had happened between Sean and I.

"You guys need to figure it out on you own," Dad said, looking at me with an expression I couldn't read.

"Okay well...um..I'm just gonna go.." I said, motioning with my thumb towards the door. Dad then cleared his throat.

"Have a good time Jake," He mused, then added quietly, "and behave." I raised an eyebrow. He chuckled slightly and wiggled his eyebrows.

"Dad stop being weird. Bye Mom!" I yelled as I made my way towards the front door. I closed it behind me and began the short walk a couple blocks to Sean's house.

I felt better in this moment than I have for a while. I missed Collin so deeply. If he was here right now I'd definitely have someone to talk to about Sean.

I thought back to my last conversation with him that day in the car. A smile made its way to my face as I recalled his grin. How he said I could trust him. I'd give anything to see his smile one more time and tell him what's been going on. That would mean everything to me.

I reached Sean's house and walked up the driveway. Walking past his car I reached the front steps and just as I was about to knock the door opened. He stood in front of me in a simple black tee and grey jeans. He looked absolutely stunning and I found myself fumbling for words.