Ch. 20 The Big Uneasy

FETE DES BENEDICTIONS
[1×18]

THE SUN POURED IN THROUGH THE WINDOWS AS I LOOKED AROUND THE BEDROOM FOR KLAUS. I rubbed my eyes, having just woken up. "Why are you up so early?" I asked.

"Morning sun offers the best light," he told me from where he was painting.

"Are you painting me?" I asked with a smirk.

"Of course, why wouldn't I want to paint the most beautiful woman I've ever seen?" he asked, smirking at me.

"Maybe because I'm huge," I said, rubbing my bump.

"I don't see how that changes anything," he told me.

I smiled. "Flattery isn't doing you any good. I'm too tired to appreciate it," I said.

"Well, can you at least hold still? I'm almost done," he said.

"Fine. I guess I'll let you draw me like one of your French girls," I said, making him chuckle. "Hey, we both know I have no shame at this point."

"Well, I've always said modesty was for the weak," he said.

I rolled my eyes. "Will you at least let me see it?" I asked.

"Maybe later," he said as he sat his paint brush to the side.

"Klaus," I whined.

He smiled, crawling onto the bed next to me. "I will show you, my love," he said.

I smiled at the new nickname. He had been calling me his love since I moved back in. I reached up and pulled him down to kiss me. We hadn't been kissing for five seconds when we heard loud noises coming from the courtyard. "What the hell is that?" I asked, the annoyance clear in my voice.

I got out of bed and pulled some clothes on. Me and Klaus walked out of our bedroom and towards the stairs.

Construction workers were standing in the courtyard working on different things. That wasn't the part that surprised me though. Elijah was also in the courtyard, but in a T-shirt. I wasn't sure if I had ever seen Elijah Mikaelson in a T-shirt. "Oh, my God. He's dressed like a normal person," I said, making the vampire chuckle. Even over all the noise, Elijah had heard my comment.

"Enough with all the racket! I was so close to an amazing morning," Klaus yelled at the other Original.

"Is there a problem, brother?" Elijah wondered. He turned towards the construction people. "Gentlemen, please." They stopped working, the noise going away.

"I agreed to a general sprucing up, not a bloody three ring circus," Klaus complained.

"Marcel and his minions abused our home for the better part of a century. Now, you might be content living in squalor, but I'm not," Elijah told us.

I scoffed. "You call this squalor?" I asked.

"I actually agree with your brother," Genevieve said, entering the courtyard. "It's a new era in the French Quarter. This place could use a makeover."

I rolled my eyes. "Careful, Elijah. When that one agrees with you, it's a sure sign she wants something," Klaus told him.

"Actually, I do have a request," Genevieve admitted.

"Of course, you do," I muttered.

"I'm told our coven hasn't been able to celebrate feast days in the open since Marcel restricted the use of magic. Now with the new peace, I'd like that to change," she told us.