Ch. 12 Sanctuary

MONSTERS
[2×12]

THE NEXT MORNING, HAYLEY AND I HEADED OUT TO THE LAKE TO TRY TO CLEAR OUR HEADS. Both of us skipped rocks across the sparkling water from the bank.

"You sure we can't trust him?" Hayley asked.

"Look, I want to tell him the truth and free our pack, but I can't," I said, turning to face her. "Hales, nothing on this planet matters more to me than my daughters. I would lose everything before I let anything happen to them."

Hayley nodded. "Okay. I'm not going to tell him unless you want me to," she promised.

We heard footsteps and soon saw Jackson coming towards us. "You scared me. I was worried you ran off in the middle of the night," he told us.

"No, we were just out here thinking," I told him, throwing another stone.

"Jack, I know I'm supposed to divulge my great secrets, but I can't. I can't even tell you why I can't, because it's not mine. It's Rory's and the Mikaelsons' and I can't choose to tell you. That's up to all of them," Hayley said.

Jack looked at me. "And you won't tell me?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Like she said, it may be partially mine, but I'm not the one who decides," I told him.

"I mean, you two really think there's a secret you have that's so bad you can't tell me?" he asked.

"It's not safe, Jack," Hayley said.

"When have we ever been safe? Now, our people have been cursed, hunted, exiled, but you and me- this wedding, we can change all that, create a new pack. One with your ability to turn at will. So we give each other our secrets. If we don't, then the transfer of power won't work and we're back to where we were," Jack told us.

I bit my lip, as my sister looked over at me.

"Look, even if we call off the wedding, there's still something that I need to tell you two," he said.

"Jack, I'm sure you've lived quite the life, but I can't imagine your secrets are anything like mine," I told him.

"There's one," he said and took a deep breath. "It has to do with how your parents died."

Me and my sister exchanged a look.

|

Jackson led us out to what reminded me slightly of a graveyard. "What is this place?" I asked.

"It's where wolves bury those who walk away from the pack. Traitors, murders. Like this one." He stopped at a peice of wood with a crescent moon and the letters RXD carved into it. "Richard Xavier Dumas. He was Mary's husband. My grandfather. He was an alpha of his time. Militant, radical, hell-bent on raging a war with the vampires. When he found out that your parents and mine planned to join the packs, try for peace with Marcel and his crew, he went ballistic."

I stared at the grave, already knowing why Jack had brought us out here. "It was him, wasn't it?" Hayley asked. Jackson looked at the ground.

"He was the one that killed our parents, wasn't he?" I asked, but I knew the answer.

"He wanted to stop them. Everyone they stood for. And he did," Jackson explained.