Ch. 23 Fire with Fire

BETRAYAL
[2×21]

RAIN WAS POURING DOWN OUTSIDE WHEN I WOKE UP INSIDE AN UNFAMILIAR SAFE HOUSE. The rain did not help my mood. Hayley was standing in the room, waiting on me to wake up. "What did you do?" I asked my sister, jumping to my feet.

"Look, I'm sorry, but I knew you weren't going to listen to reason," she said.

"Reason? Hayley you're asking me to leave my family, take my daughters away from their father," I said.

"All that family causes them is pain," she told me.

"Yes, because that is what family does, Hayley. Family loves you and always protects you, but for that love you have to fight for each other. Klaus may have his demons but he will die before he lets them come for Hope or Lilly because he loves them," I told her.

"Well, maybe that's the problem," Hayley said.

She must have noticed the look on my face, because she quickly started speaking again. "If you fight me right now, you fight the pack," she said.

I scoffed. "You think I'm actually afraid of the pack?" I asked.

"Fine, just think, Rory. A storm already rolled in, we need to move as soon as it clears up. We can fight about this afterwards," she said.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. But don't you dare lay a finger on me again," I warned.

We walked outside and I saw one person I wasn't expecting. "What's Mary doing here?" I asked.

"She came to help," Hayley said. I sighed and me and Hayley walked over to her.

"How's those little ones?" Mary asked.

"Sleeping right through the storm," Hayley said.

I frowned, before turning towards the older werewolf. "Mary, I appreciate you coming, but you should know what you're going up against," I told her.

"Ancient witch wants to steal one of my granddaughters? Not on my watch. I brought you something that might come in handy. In my youth, wolves and witches had a peace. Voodoo queen I knew showed me how to use herbs to tell when magic's afoot. Combine Solomon's seal and snapdragon, and burn them," Mary told us.

She pulled out a lighter and set the herbs on fire before dropping them in a bowl.

"If the smoke is white, all's clear. If it's black, there's a hex in the air. And if it's red, well, then you know you're in trouble," she explained.

We looked down to see what color the smoke was as thunder boomed through the sky. The smoke was definitely black. Just wonderful, I thought.

"Just what I thought. This storm ain't natural," Mary told us.

"It's Dahlia. She's trying to pin us down," I realized.

Jackson and a few other wolves walked over to us.

"The road to the highway is flooded. Quickest way out of here is on foot through back roads," Jackson told us. "What's wrong?"

"Elijah called. Klaus is gone. We don't know where he went," Hayley admitted, looking at the ground. My anger grew as I heard that. I hadn't approved of Elijah's plan to dagger Klaus. I knew Klaus, and I knew that he had to be pissed after that. No way was anyone getting through to him now.