Ch. 23 The Battle of New Orleans

SACRIFICE
[1×21]

"NEW ORLEANS HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR. The ancient Chitimacha tribe fought vicious campaigns in defense of their land. In 1815, Andrew Jackson earned fame by staving off a British invasion. His army consists of farmers, freed slaves, and pirates. Half a century later, the Union navy seized New Orleans, cutting off supply roots and all but sealing the Confederacy's fate," Klaus said from the balcony.

I shook my head at my boyfriend. "Thanks for the history lecture, not condescending at all," I muttered. Me and Elijah were sitting in a study reading, while Lilly played at the end of the couch and Klaus walked around talking about anything he wanted to. Of course, Klaus, being Klaus, had picked war.

"Well, it's not his intention to condescend you," Elijah told me. "Bore you mercilessly, perhaps."

I chuckled. Me and Elijah had been getting along pretty well since I moved back. Not perfect, but we were trying.

"I simply offer a reminder. History showed us that any attempt to assert dominion over this town ends in bloody conflict," Klaus told us.

I closed my book and put both hands to my bump. "Well, this conversation is going to result in bloody conflict if this baby doesn't stop punching my internal organs," I complained, readjusting my position on the couch.

Elijah rose to his feet and both brothers rushed to my side at the mention of the baby. "What's the matter?" Klaus asked.

I smiled and held up a hand to stop them. "Baby's fine. I'm fine," I promised. I paused, glancing down at my two year old. She had been playing with her rabbit, but must've gotten bored and was now trying to climb off the couch. "Although, now that I have both of your attention, what's happening with me and Hayley's moonlight rings?"

"I told you, they're a work and progress," Klaus said, calming back down. He picked up the toddler that was most likely about to go running from the room. "I just need my witch to perfect the spell."

"Assuming she's willing to cooperate once she realizes the scope of your plan," Elijah said.

"Leave Genevieve to me," Klaus told him. I hated Genevieve, but I was going along with the plan. My pack needed these rings.

"Perhaps we should seek someone else to cast a spell of this magnitude," Elijah said.

"No," I said, earning their attention again. "No way. You were just preaching about war, meaning I may or may not kill a living person for the first time pretty soon. If we wait much longer, I won't be pregnant anymore. And unless you want to babysit two screaming kids while I'm chained up every full moon, this needs to happen now."

Klaus smiled at his brother. "Hmm," Elijah said, clearly not liking this. I wasn't sure if it was the plan or me mentioning murder. Neither of them seemed fond of the idea of me triggering my curse soon. To be fair, neither was I. While I wouldn't mind having the extra strength and speed, taking a human life wasn't on my bucket list.

"Tomorrow is our window. Genevieve will have the spell ready to harness the power of the full moon," Klaus told me.

A small smile made its way onto my face as Lilly leaned her head against his shoulder. Now that I was living in the compound again and was heavily pregnant, he had been having to help with her more and more. He didn't seem to mind, though.