Ch. 21 An Unblinking Death

EXPLOSION
[1×19]

A YAWN LEFT MY LIPS AS I MADE MY WAY INTO A STUDY. I stopped as I entered, and looked at all the books on the floor. "What did those books do to you?" I asked Klaus. He was sitting on the sofa reading, as if he hadn't torn apart the room.

"My brother has stolen my mother's grimoire," he explained.

"Okay," I said, sitting down next to him on the sofa. I laid my head on his shoulder, still half asleep.

"Why are you up so early? Usually you're mad at me for getting up at this time," he reminded.

"Hayley wanted me to come out to the bayou and Eve has been bothering me about taking a birthing class. I don't know why, it's not like I haven't done it once already," I said.

He smiled, kissing me on the head, while he continued to read. "Speaking of, any chance you can help watch Lilly? She'll get bored and you can call it being paranoid or mother's intuition or whatever you want, but I just get this feeling that I shouldn't bring her with me," I told him.

"I have some things to do today," he said.

I pulled away from Klaus, looking at the hybrid. "Okay, I know she isn't actually yours, but at some point you are going to have to help me with this stuff because I can't handle two kids screaming at me by myself," I told him.

He sighed, closing his book. "We both know I will willingly watch Lilly anytime I need to when I'm not busy. However, Cami already asked me for help with her uncle. I don't think either of us really want her there," he told me.

"Fine," I said, standing up. "I'll call Davina. I was hoping for a free babysitter. I feel guilty not paying her."

"Why don't I ever get paid then?" he asked.

"Because I'm the one who is carrying around your baby for nine months. I'm the one who has to get up at night when she kicks my bladder or pushes against it, had morning sickness, has to watch my stress levels, deal with braxton hicks, back pain, and give birth to her. You get to watch my kids. Be happy I'm not asking for a whole lot more," I told him, smiling.

He chuckled as I left the room.

|

I sat on the floor of the cabin in the bayou. I had my knees bent and both hands on my round bump. I was breathing as instructed by Eve. "That's it. Inhale and release," Eve told me.

"I guess this means no epidural, huh?" Hayley asked. Her and Eve were both sitting next to me.

"Yeah, no offense, Eve, but I feel more comfortable doing this in an actual hospital. With the doctors and the drugs," I told her.

"Honey, werewolves have been having babies out here since before you two were born. Stop worrying," she told me.

"I know. Just my last baby was born in a hospital and me and Klaus have sort of already agreed that this one should be," I told her.

"He actually talked about this?" Hayley asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Okay, so I decided and Klaus just made some comment about how no child of his will be born in a swamp," I admitted.