15. A Familiar Friend?

I'm back from my hiatus! Here's a longer chapter as a thank you for reading. Please make sure to vote and comment. Enjoy.

~~~~~

[Jennie]

     Walking down the futuristic streets of New York City, I took note of all the moving electronic billboards floating in the air. I still haven't gotten used to all this technology even though I've been here for a while. I usually only walked around central park whenever I was in need of fresh air. The cool breeze along with the yellow, shining sun helped with my sanity greatly.

It's been weeks, yet I still don't have any clue on how to get back home. It's been weeks since I've been able to touch Chaeyoung. It's been weeks since I've been able to hear her soothing voice singing melodies to me.

I wonder how things are going over there. I wonder if she still thinks about me. Or if time stopped in LA because of my absence. Or if this is some crazy, delusional dream I'm having.

Wait. Is this a dream?

Slapping my cheeks, I watched as a group of children went running past me, telling their parents about the crazy girl who's slapping herself. I mean...who can blame them. I look like I just came from doing drugs in an alleyway, if that's still a thing in 3012. I'm literally wearing an oversized sweater I found in Jongin's closet, along with a pair of sweatpants. I didn't even bother to brush my hair. I either look like a drug addict or a homeless person. It's up to the children to decide.

Making my way towards an outdoor food market, I watched as families bustled back and forth, trying to keep their children happy while looking for food to buy for dinner. I watched as couples held hands while looking at tomatoes on the display shelf, or checking if there are any bruises on apples. I observed the many couples hugging each other, trying their best to keep warm even through the sunny, yet chilly weather. I envied those couples. I wanted to be one of them, except in Los Angeles in the year 2019, with a particular someone named Park Chaeyoung.

I'm not implying that I don't love Jongin, because I really do. It just, sadly, isn't enough. I feel terrible for not being able to give him the full love and attention he deserves. I feel bad that he has to know that I still think about someone else other than him.

"Excuse me. How much for two containers of those strawberries?" I asked, pointing at the direction of the strawberries behind the seller.

Strawberries.

My one taste of heaven on a bad day. Even through a change of time, I still have one thing I can always depend on to save my day.

"Oh yeah. Those two will be $10."

I almost forgot about how different the prices are compared to 2019. Ever since Trump, America's taxes and sales prices have skyrocketed greatly.

Bringing my arm towards the cashier, I watched as she scanned the chip inserted in my forearm, effectively obtaining the ten dollars I owed her. With a smile and nod, I turned around with the strawberries in hand. Heading towards a bench I found on the side of a sidewalk, I spotted someone I found oddly familiar amongst the crowd of people.

A particular someone with blonde hair and bangs.

Dammit. I forgot to wear my contacts once again.

Squinting, I noticed how the girl made a bit of eye contact with me, but then swiftly looked away.

Odd.