21. Sunshine to the Rain

[Jennie]

After every gloomy day filled with rain and thunderstorms, there was always a brighter tomorrow packed with sunshine and chirping birds. After every argument or fight, there always was another day filled with forgiveness and laughter. That's how it was with Chaeyoung. Compared to every other ex, Chaeyoung would always be willing to listen and forgive, which is something that I found major comfort in. She was and will always be my sunshine to the stormy rain.

Notions and notions trailed inside my mind and turned their gears as I stared at Chaeyoung's restful face, her chest rising and falling at a rythmatical pace. Knowing that her presence was to stay for good this time gave me a reassuring ease to my worries and uneasiness. Turning my head to face the ceiling once again, I closed my eyes as I recalled everything that occurred in the past couple of months. Only months have passed, yet it felt like years and years of uncertainty and bewilderment.

Everything was back to normal now, except for the one big elephant in the room demanding for its attention: how the hell are we gonna get back to 2019.

"What time is it?" Sleeping beauty murmured as she stirred awake from her slumber.

Her soft, raspy voice cut off my train of thought, bringing me back into the present. "Late. The sun isn't out yet, go back to sleep," I shifted my body towards her direction.

"Shouldn't I be telling you that?" Chaeyoung giggled, wrapping her left arm around my waist as she nuzzled her face into my neck.

Her soft breathing sent shivers down my spine as it made contact with my skin.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Her slender fingers caressed my bare waist, calming my nerves.

"Just worried," I let out a shaky breath. "I just don't want the past to repeat itself."

"Well then don't let it, Jen. The past is called the past for a reason," Chaeyoung gave a few gentle kisses near the base of my neck. "It won't happen again."

"And how are you so sure of that?"

Throughout all the times that I've messed up and betrayed her, how is she willing to forgive and forget. How is she willing to love me, someone who is way too far from perfect?

"Cause I'm here now aren't I?" She smiled against my collarbone. "I can't promise you everything, but I do know that I'm way too 'head over heels' for you to forget about what we have."

Hearing those reassuring words gave me the courage to lift her chin up with my fingertips to meet her in the eyes. Eyes that told a prolonged, agonizing love story. A love story meant to end with a "happily ever after". A "happily ever after" that concluded with a marriage and a family. Something that the two of us were sure of coming true.

Leaning in closer with a rapidly beating heart, I gave Chaeyoung a chaste kiss with my eyes closed. This feeling was something unreplaceable. A warm feeling that only a certain girl with blonde hair and brown eyes could grant.

"I love you," I whispered against her lips.

"Too," She giggled back in response.

Returning back to our original position with her head resting on my shoulder, a comfortable silence hung over us until my previous train of thoughts and worries decided to intrude my mind once again.