Chapter 4

Colby

"How are you doing with everything?" Mom asked as she sat down next to me. I sighed, thinking about everything that has happened in the last couple of days.

"It feels like a dream. Meeting everyone and then seeing Jade again."

"You don't want to leave, huh?" I turned to grab my mom's hand, making her sigh.

"Mom."

"I get it, Colby, and it's okay. I've been thinking about the last couple of days. If this is where you want to be, I will follow you. My family is here, and so is your dads."

"You would do that?" she nodded as the tears filled her eyes.

"I would. You are happy here."

"I was happy at home."

"You were, but here it's different. You've had a hole in your heart for a long time, and now it's finally filled. Having Courtney in your life has helped you heal that little piece that I never could."

"You're still my mom." she nodded, pulling me into her arms.

"Love you, buddy."

"Love you too, mom."

"Come on, let's get ready and go tell everyone." I nodded, pulling away from mom. I pulled out my phone, asking Jade if she would come to Courtney's with us so I could tell her the good news.

After an hour, mom and I headed to Courtney and Aaron's house. I checked my phone, finding no messages from Jade. Hopefully, Aria can convince her to come over.

"Hey, guys." Courtney smiled, opening the door. She gave us both a hug before taking us into the dining room. Belle ran over, wrapping her arms around my leg.

"Hi, Belle."

"Hi, Colby." I smiled, wrapping my arms around her.

"Colby!" Calum came running around the corner, wrapping his arms around me.

"Hey, buddy."

"Hey, you two, why don't you go get your sister," Courtney told them as they pulled away from me.

"Carson here?"

"He had a baseball meeting, but Logan should be dropping him off any minute." I nodded, turning back to look at my mom and Courtney.

"Courtney, do you need any help?"

"Dinner is almost ready, but how about a glass of wine?"

"Now we're talking?" Mom smiled, following Courtney into the kitchen. I turned to my little siblings bringing Aria into the living room.

"Hey."

"Hey, can you do me a favor?" She nodded, giving me a side hug.

"Sure, what's up?"

"Is there any way you can get Jade to come over? I tried texting her but haven't heard anything."

"Yeah, let me see what I can do."

"Thanks, sis." I smiled, making the tears build up in her eyes. I pulled her back into my arms, where she held me tightly.

"Sorry, it's just I've waited a long time for this."

"Me to Aria." I kissed the top of her head before pulling away.

After Aaron and Carson got home, we went into the dining room. Belle pulled out a chair next to her so that I could sit by her.

"I told myself I wasn't going to cry." I looked over at Courtney as she was trying to hold back the tears.

"Aria, if it weren't for you, we wouldn't be here right now."

"I want to thank you guys for having my mom and me here. As I'm sure you guys were feeling the same thing, I've been waiting a long time for this." Mom squeezed my hand as I saw the tears in her eyes.

"You two are family and are always welcome here." I looked around the table at my siblings than to my birth parents. Aaron wasn't my biological parent, but he was there for Courtney through everything with me.

"Well, you guys are going to have to get used to me being here. Mom and I decided to move here. Our family is, and everything else is here." I looked at Courtney as a sob broke from her. She quickly got up, making her way over to wrapping my arms around me.

"I can't believe this is happening. It feels like a dream. I was scared you would never want to see us, and now." I nodded, wrapping my arms around her.

"You guys are a piece of me that I can't fill without being here."

"What about school?"

"I was accepted to a few schools out there, so I just have to call a few people." She nodded as Aria came over, wrapping her arms around us.

After an emotionally charged dinner, we went out to the back yard to start a fire. Aria helped the little kids with the marshmallows while Carson came over and sat next to me.

"So, does this mean you can help me with baseball whenever?" He smiled as I turned and nodded.

"It does."

"Glad to have you here." The only thing to make this better would be if Jade were here. I pulled out my phone, finding a message from Jade saying she would meet up.

"Jade's came over for a little bit," I said to Aria, making her look over at me.

"Are you two going to get back together now?" I shrugged, not knowing the answer. My phone went off again, letting me know Jade is here.

"I'll be back," I told them before making my way out front. Jade was pacing, clutching her phone in her hand.

"Hey." I smiled, making her turn and look at me.

"Hey." I walked over, wrapping my arms around her making her go rigid.

"You okay?"

"Just have a lot going on." I frowned, rubbing my thumbs over her worried lines.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not right now. Sorry I don't have long."

"I want to tell you some good news." I smiled, hoping this will cheer her up a little bit.

"What's going on?"

"I'm staying here. Mom wants to be closer to her family, and my dad's family is here. I want to get to know my birth family better. It does help that you are here." I smirked as she was looking away, as the wheels started turning.

"That's great. I'm happy for you."

"Why don't you seem like it?" I thought she would be a little happier, but she seems more disappointed.

"I'm happy, I promise. I have to go." She shook her head, pulling away from me.

"Jade."

"I'm sorry, Colby, now's not a good time." She got in her car, driving away.

"What was that about?" Aria came over, standing next to me.

"No idea. Something's not right." I sighed, running my hand through my hair.