Chapter 6

Jade

"What's up? You keep fidgeting?" My friend Saige asked. Saige was the first friend I made when I got here.

"Jace is coming home, and now my ex-boyfriend is moving here." I sighed. I was happy that Jace is coming back, but it complicates things even more. There are so many things I have to prepare for when Colby gets here.

"The one you left behind?"

"Something like that." I shook my head, wishing I was at home cuddling my babies.

"If you want to head home, I can handle it here."

"I'll be okay. I could use the hours." she nodded, taking a tray of food over to her table. I checked my phone real fast before grabbing my tray.

"Are you and Emily free later. Maybe a girls night we help cheer you up." Emily asked as we walked into the breakroom.

"That sounds great, but a nap is what I could use," I said, throwing my apron into my locker. I looked at my best friend seeing the disappointed look on her face.

"Saige."

"I know you have a lot on your plate. We're supposed to be able to lean on each other."

"You're right, and I'm sorry." I shook my head as I pictured the twin's faces.

"Whenever your ready, I will be here."

"Saige, why don't you come over later?" I asked, surprising myself. She will be the first one to know about the twins that aren't family, with Jace and Colby coming back to town soon. I'm going to need all the help I can get.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's time I let you in." I smiled, reaching to hug her.

"Okay, just let me go home and shower first."

"Of course, just let me know you're on your way." She nodded as I grabbed the rest of my things.

I grabbed my things before heading inside. I smiled, hearing the twins laughing at something. Quietly I opened the door, getting a sneak peek of what they are doing. Alex turned his little head, letting his eyes lock on me. I smiled, getting down to his level. He got up, making his way over to me. I pulled his little body into mine, nuzzling my face in his little neck.

"Hi, buddy."

"Mama!" Addie yelled as I pulled away from Alex.

"Come here, sweet girl." I held them close for another minute.

"How was work?" Aunt Jane asked as the twins pulled away from me.

"It was good. Umm, Saige is coming over." I whispered, looking up at her.

"Are you sure?"

"It's time. I'm not ashamed of them. Jace and Colby are going to be here soon, so I'm going to need her."

"This is good, Jade. Let me watch them for a minute, and you get in the shower." I nodded, watching them for a second.

"Mama is going to take a shower, then be right back." She told them as I ran upstairs.

"Mama." Addie cried as I made it upstairs.

After a quick shower and change, I made my way downstairs. Addie ran over, attaching herself to my leg making me sigh.

"Let's get some dinner." I pulled her into my arms, kissing her cheek.

"Nuggets and green beans." Jane smiled as I walked into the kitchen. She had Alex in his high chair already. I set Addie in hers before grabbing her plate.

"I know I tell you all the time but thank you for everything. I don't know where I would be without you."

"I would do it again a thousand times if I had to. We love having you three here." I nodded, knowing she was right. My mother and aunt Jane were were that were completely different.

"Still, I don't know where I would be without you guys." I wiped my eyes as she squeezed my shoulder.

"Your right where you're supposed to be." I nodded, going back to feeding Addie. I vowed when I found out I was pregnant, I was never going to be like my mother.

"Saige is here." Uncle Elliot smiled, walking into the kitchen. I turned just as Saige came into view.

"Hey." I smiled, watching her look at me then at the twins. Alex turned his little head, looking at Saige, pointing.

"Hi, handsome." She smiled at him, making him giggle.

"Alex, can you say hi?" I smiled at him wiping his face. Once he was cleaned up, he reached for Saige.

"Can I?" I nodded as I cleaned up Addie. I pulled her into my arms, where she hid her face in my neck.

"This shy little girl is Addie." She nodded, trying to process everything that is going on. Alex was making faces at her trying to get her attention.

"Mama," Addie whispered.

"Come on, let's get you two in the bath, then into bed."

"Do you need help?"

"Could always use another set of hands." I smiled as she followed me to the bathroom.

Saige and I got the twins undressed and into the tub. I usually let them play for a few minutes before washing up. Addie looked between Saige and me before her brother splashed her taking her attention.

"You're a mom." She smiled, looking at the twins.

"I am."

"This explains so much. Why did you never tell me?" I glanced at the twins before looking back at Saige.

"At first, I was scared. When we first met, I wanted to feel somewhat normal. I was struggling with two newborns, and I was in a new town."

"Colby, the ex that is now moving here is their father."

"He is, but he doesn't know that yet." I nodded, washing Addie's hair.

After the bath, Saige helped me get them into their pajamas. I cuddled both of them before kissing them good night. Quietly I went back to my room where Saige is waiting for me.

"I can't believe you have two of them."

"You're telling me, but now I know how it happened. Twins run in his family. His birth mom is a twin."

"What are you going to do about Jace?" I sighed, collapsing on my bed next to her.

"Honestly, I don't know. He's great for a distraction and all, but..."

"Could you see yourself getting back with Colby?" I turned and looked at the picture of Colby and me from a couple of years ago.

"Depends how he takes all of this. Things were so different back then." I whispered, thinking about the nights we would sneak out to see each other.