Chapter 13

Colby

I peeked into the room Jade and I are sharing. Jade's back is to me as she curled up with Brenna. Brenna looked up at me, mouthing that she is asleep.

"Let me know if you guys need anything." She nodded, resting her head back down against Jade's. Quietly I made my way back downstairs, where my mom and Courtney are. Jade's aunt Jane has been keeping the twins at her house while Jade and I stayed at the beach house. Mom and Courtney have been here, for the most part, in case we needed anything.

"She's asleep." I sighed, crashing into the seat next to Courtney.

"You should try and get some sleep, too, bud." I nodded, looking up at mom.

"Thank you both for being here." I took both of their hands, squeezing them. Without them, I don't know how I could get through this the last couple of hours.

"Whenever you need us, we will be here." I nodded, looking at the two most amazing people in my life. Mom walked over, wrapping my arms around me.

"Whenever your ready, we're here to listen, okay."

"Not yet." She nodded, kissing my cheek.

"I'm going to the store. Do you need anything?"

"No, I'm good. I'm going to see the twins a little later." She pulled away, leaving me with Courtney.

"Can we talk on the deck?"

"Sure." I nodded as she got up and followed me out to the deck. I sighed, taking a seat looking out over the lake. I look at Courtney, seeing how worried she is. The pain is evident in her eyes.

"You know, the first time you were here was when I was pregnant with you. Aaron, Logan and Zoey, and her best friend came up here as a graduation present." I nodded, listening to her story before we sat listening to the water.

"I don't know how to help her," I admitted.

"You're doing everything you're supposed to. Just be there when she needs you. Let her cry, scream whatever she needs to do. If you need to do those things too, then do them. You don't have to be strong all the time." She reached, overtaking my hand in hers.

"I now have an understanding of what you went through when I was born. It hurts like hell. I feel useless. I'm worried she's going to pull away from the twins." Tears filled her eyes as she tried to blink them away.

"I never wanted you or any of my kids to feel that pain. She's strong, and she's going to find her way." I nodded as my own eyes filled with tears. Courtney reached over, pulling me into her arms.

"I got you." She rubbed my back as the tears flowed down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry," I said, pulling away, trying to pull myself together. She shook her head, wiping my tears away.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm here whenever you need me. I know you have your mom, but."

"You're my mother too." I smiled, giving her another hug.

"Sorry to interrupt, but Jade is asking for you, Colby," Brenna said as I pulled away from Courtney.

"Go," Courtney whispered as I ran past them, running up to our room. Opening the door, she is still curled up on her side.

"Hey." I smiled, sitting on the edge of the bed, taking her hand in mine.

"Hey."

"How did you sleep?"

"Okay, where were you?"

"Talking to Courtney outside. I'm going to see the twins later." She nodded, looking at the wall. I moved, climbing onto the bed. She rolled over, resting her head against my chest.

"I miss them." I nodded, kissing her forehead.

"They miss you too."

"Do you think we should name the baby?" She asked after a few minutes. Honestly, I haven't thought much about the baby. My main focus is on Jade and the twins.

"If that's what you want."

"When I do sleep, I have dreams that it was a little girl. Sarah Marie after your mom's." tears filled my eyes as I nodded.

"It's perfect." I leaned down, pressing my lips to hers.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. I love you, Jade, and I'm here."

"I love you too. Maybe tomorrow I can go see the twins." I nodded, holding onto her.

***

"Daddy." Addie ran over, wrapping her arms around my legs. I smiled, reaching down pulling her into my arms.

"There's my princess." I kissed her cheeks, making her giggle. I leaned down, scooping up Alex as his little body crashed into me.

"Momma."

"She misses you two. She's sad right now."

"Hey, Colby." Jane smiled, walking over to us.

"Hey, how are they doing?"

"Good. They had dinner but need a bath before laying down."

"Alright, you two time for a bath," I smirked, taking them upstairs to Jade's bathroom.

I watched them splash around and laugh with each other. Their little sister could have been here playing with them when she is big enough.

"Guess what time it is?" I said, making them both look at me.

"Momma."

"We can call momma," I reassured them as I pulled them out of the bath, getting them dried off. I got them dressed in their pajamas before we went and curled up on Jade's bed. Before calling her, I sent her a picture of us before we called her.

"Momma!" they both yelled as her face appeared on the screen.

"Hi, babies."

"Snuggle, momma," Alex said, making her sigh.

"Tomorrow, buddy. Momma is staying with Aunt Brenna tonight. Colby, make sure you brush Addie's hair." I handed the phone off to the twins. I grabbed a brush before pulling Addie into my lap.

"Love you both. Sweet dreams. Momma will see you tomorrow."

"Alright, you two time for bed." I scooped them, taking them to their room.

"Night, buddy. Love you." I tucked him in, kissing his forehead. I walked over to Addie's bed, tucking her in.

"Love you, princess." I kissed her forehead as she closed her eyes.

After watching the twins for a little bit, I made my way back to Jade's room. Sighing, I collapsed on her bed, breathing in her scent. Times like this, I wish my dad was still here.