Chapter 20

Colby

"Hey, thanks for having us over?" I said, walking over to Aaron. Jade and Addie are at the girl's weekend with Courtney and the rest of the women in the family.

"Of course. How is everything going?"

"Not too bad these two keep us on our toes." I smiled, looking over at Alex running around with Carson. 

"That they do." He smirked, taking a sip of his beer.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"How did you know you were ready to propose?" I smiled, gesturing for me to take a seat. I looked at Alex before looking back at Aaron.

"As you know, we've been through hell and back. I knew from the moment I saw her that she was the one. We took some time apart, and it did us both some good. But, once I had her back in my arms, I was never going to let her go again. I can't imagine my life without her."

"Jade's everything. I couldn't have a better person to be the mother of my children. The way she loves them and takes care of them. I don't want to do this without her."

"You have your answer now; how are you going to ask her?"

"I'm not quite sure."

 "It will come to you. Just don't overthink it."

"Thank you for this."

"Of course, I'm always here. Your dad was a good man, and I hope I do good by him." Aaron pulled me up, hugging me. I felt little arms wrap around me, making me look down and find Alex.

"What's up, bud?"

"Where's momma?"

"She's having girl time with sissy and Courtney. We will see her in a little bit." He nodded, reaching up. I reached down, pulling him against my chest, where he curled up. 

"Are you having fun playing with your uncles?" He nodded, pointing at Aaron.

"He makes dinner?"

"Yeah, he's making dinner, don't worry." I laughed, kissing his cheek. 

"Don't worry, Alex, the first one is all yours." Aaron fist-bumped him before I set him down, and he went running. 

"Sorry about that."

"He's fine." I nodded, going over to sit down at the table.

Looking around, I couldn't help but imagine what it would have like to grow up here. My siblings all around and all the extended family. My parents decided I was it for them. They had trouble adopting after me and decided they didn't want to continue the heartbreak. 

Meeting Jade changed everything for me. I always felt a little lost growing up, but she filled that spot. With her in my arms, I wasn't so lost anymore. I had my meaning. 

After hanging out with the guys Alex and I made our way home. I was surprised to find Jade's car in the driveway. The girls weren't due back until tomorrow morning. I pulled Alex out of the back seat as he curled up against my chest. Quietly we made our way inside. I walked to our room, where Jade had Addie curled up against her chest.

"Hey."

"Hey. She's not feeling good, so we decided to come home." I nodded, watching her lay Addie down. 

"Momma."

"Hey, buddy." She smiled, reaching for him. 

"Missed you."

"Missed you too, buddy. Did you have fun with daddy?" 

"Yeah, we play with Carson and Calum. Grandpa made me a burger."

"Well, it looks like you had fun." She smiled, helping him put on his pajamas. I walked over, kissing him on his forehead.

"Love you, buddy. Glad you had fun."

"Love you, daddy. Love you, mommy." I walked back to the living room, letting them have their little moment. I opened my arms as Jade came back into the living room.

"Missed you."

"Missed you too." I kissed her before resting my head on her neck. She snuggled in more and sighing in content. 

"How was girls' weekend?"

"It was a little overwhelming at first, but it was fun. Addie had a lot of fun playing with Emma. We need some more girls in this family."

"I think Kacie is about done having kids. So I suppose it's up to us." I smirked.

"Or Bailey and Wyatt."

"I don't think so." She smiled, leaning up for a kiss. 

"Well, we got a sick kid in our bed."

"Shower."

"Momma," Addie yelled.

"I guess that's your answer." I nodded, pulling away helping her off the couch. We walked back to our room, where Addie was crying. Vomit covered the front of her pajamas and the blanket she was curled up with.

"You take her. I got the bed." She nodded, going over to Addie as I grabbed the blanket. I washed the blanket and left it out to dry before inspecting the rest of the bed. Luckily it was just on her and the blanket. Walking to the bathroom, I could hear singing gently to Addie. 

"Daddy." She said weakly as I walked in.

"Hi, princess. I see you're not feeling good. Maybe mommy and daddy snuggles will make you feel better." She nodded as Jade scooped her out of the tub. I quietly went into her room, pulling out a pair of pajamas. I checked Alex's forehead finding it was still cool. 

"Here you go, princess. I checked Alex, and he still doesn't have a fever."

"I hope we can keep it that way." I nodded, pulling Addie into my arms. We climbed into bed, where Addie was sleeping in the middle of us.

"Hi, daddy."

"Hi princess, I missed you." I kissed her forehead as her fever seemed to calm down. Jade sighed, rubbing Addie's back.

"Jade."

"Hmm." 

"Marry me," I whispered, watching her reaction. After processing what I said, her eyes widened.

"Colby."

"Marry me," I said again with a smile.

"Okay."

"Jade." She smiled, trying not to get too excited.

"Of course, yes." I leaned over Addie, kissing her.

"I know this isn't how I thought I would propose. But, when you know, you know, and this is the moment. With our baby girl curled up with us."

"It's perfect."

"Shh," Addie whispered, making us laugh.

"Sorry, sweetheart, we will go to sleep now." We smiled, leaning down to kiss her cheek. I leaned over, giving Jade one more kiss before going to sleep.