Chapter 19

Colby, two years later...

"Dad, can I have a snack?" Alex asked as he ran up to me. I nodded, reaching into the cooler for his snack bag.

"Sit on the sheet and don't touch the sand." He nodded, sitting down on the sheet in front of us. Jade and Addie were playing in the water while I sat with my mom.

"He's getting so big. It reminds me of when you were his age." I nodded, looking over at Jade and Addie. Jade scooped her, making her giggles as they got splashed with water.

"I think it's time I marry her," I whispered, looking back at my mom.

"I wish your dad were here for this."

"Me too. I could use his advice right about now." Mom nodded, reaching over squeezing my hand.

"Just take a moment, and it will come to you." I nodded, looking back at Jade and Addie. Jade and I locked eyes as she brought Addie over to us.

"Are you having fun, baby girl?" I smiled at Addie as she came up, hugging me.

"Yeah, big wave."

"I saw. Are you hungry?" She nodded as Jade got a snack for her.

"Looks like they're getting tired." I nodded, grabbing their toys and cleaning them off. Mom and Jade got the twins all cleaned off before putting them in the truck. I threw everything in the back before going over hugging mom.

"Thank you for coming today."

"Of course. I love spending time with you guys. Call me later if you need anything. Love you, buddy."

"Love you too, mama." I smiled, jumping in the truck. Jade leaned over, kissing me as she laid her head on my shoulder. I looked back in the mirror, seeing both of the twins fighting to fall asleep.

"We should have another baby," I whispered. For a minute, I thought she didn't hear me until she pulled away and looked at me.

"Colby."

"I know it's something we haven't talked about, but. I love watching you with them. The smiles on your guy's face. I want to try and keep them somewhat close in age."

"Can I think about it and maybe talk about it later?" I grabbed her hand, bringing it up to my lips kissing it.

"Of course." She nodded, resting her head back against my shoulder. I kissed her forehead as we made our way home.

Jade

"Hey, thanks for letting me come over. I just needed a minute." mom said as she wrapped her arms around me, hugging me.

"Of course, you are always welcome here. Colby left for class and is bringing home dinner. Do you want anything?"

"I'll just get whatever your getting." I nodded, texting Colby. Alex and Addie came running into the living, launching themselves on my mom. Since Christmas two years ago, my mom has left my dad and has moved here officially. The twins have loved having her here and spending time with them.

"Why don't you two tell grandma about what you did today?" I told them as we sat on the couch. I watched the kids as Colby's question kept replaying in my head. Since losing our last baby, I never thought about having another one.

"What's got you so lost in thought?" Mom asked, reaching over squeezing my hand.

"Something Colby and I were talking about earlier."

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah. Just took me by surprise."

"If you two need the night. I can take the twins off your hands."

"Thank you, but you don't have to do that." I sighed, shaking my head.

"Jade."

"Mom, look," Alex yelled, making me look at the toy he had.

"That's cool, buddy." I smiled.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Today, Colby told me he wants another baby."

"And you don't?" I sighed, looking at the twins playing.

"It's not that I don't want another one; I just don't know if I'm ready."

"You still have plenty of time if you decide to wait."

"Did you want more kids?"

"No, I was content with you. You know how your father was, and I was scared." I nodded as the door opened.

"Honey, I'm home." Colby smiled, carrying the bags over to the dining room table. Mom rushed the twins off to get washed up while I helped with dinner.

"Mom asked to take the kids tonight."

"I'm okay with that if you are." He shrugged as he got the kids set up.

"Yeah." He looked me over for a second until the twins came running in.

"How do you guys feel about staying with grandma tonight?"

"Toys?" Alex perked up.

"Of course, buddy. Colby, thank you for dinner."

"Not a problem. Thank you for taking them tonight."

After dinner, I got the kid's things for tonight. Addie came running in, grabbing her teddy bear.

"Love you, momma."

"Love you too, baby. You have fun tonight." I hugged her before going out into the living room. We said goodbye to the kids and cleaned up dinner.

"Are you okay? You've been out of it since earlier. Is it about what I asked you?" I nodded, crashing onto the couch.

"It just came out of nowhere and caught me off guard. Where is it coming from?" Colby frowned as he came over, sitting next to me.

"I love being a dad. I love watching them learn new things and be the mini versions of us."

"After we lost the baby, having another never crossed my mind. I don't even know if I can get pregnant again. And what if I do and the same thing happens?" I cried as he pulled me into his arms. His fingers ran through my hair as he placed kisses against my forehead.

"We can go to the doctors to discuss our options. I know you're scared, and so am I. I know we have a lot going on right now with school and everything. We can have a baby when and if you'll be ready."

"I want you to have that experience with a newborn. We should look into going to the doctor just to make sure I'm able to."

"I'll be here every step of the way." I nodded, leaning in kissing me.