Chapter 18

Jade

I sighed, crashing into Colby as he wrapped his arms around me. I looked around, finding the twins playing with Kacie's daughter Emma. This is our first Christmas as a family. Yesterday we spent Christmas with my family and Colbys family. Today we are at Courtney's parents for the Underwood Christmas.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. I just can't believe we are all together. Our kids are surrounded by so much love, and so are we. I've dreamed of this, and now that's happening, I'm happy." He leaned down, kissing my forehead as I rested my head against my chest.

"I've been dreaming of this too." I leaned up, pressing my lips to his.

"Hey, you two, are you having fun?" Courtney walked over, smiling at us.

"Yeah, it's a little overwhelming. The twins are loving it."

"It is. I'm really glad you guys are here. It makes this Christmas extra special." Courtney smiled, giving us both a hug before going over to check on the twins.

"I reached out to my mom," I whispered, making him looking down at me.

"What?"

"I sent her our Christmas card, but I haven't heard anything bad. I had a feeling she wouldn't respond, but I'm a little shocked."

"Maybe she still will, and if she doesn't, then it's her loss." I knew he was right, but I still hold out hope for her. I want her to leave my dad and come be with her grandchildren and me. I pulled out my phone, finding a message from my aunt Jane.

Your mom is here. Alone. I gasped, showing the message to Colby.

"What do you need to do?"

"I want to see her but the twins."

"They can stay here if you want. There are plenty of babysitters here." I nodded, looking around the room. He was right Courtney was here, plus all of his Aunts and Uncles.

"No, we can bring them," I whispered, looking at the twins before looking back at Colby.

"Let's get them and tell everyone we're leaving." Colby helped me up, and we went to get the twins ready. Both of them cried as we put their coats on. Courtney walked over, pulling me into her arms.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to call, okay." I nodded, holding onto her a little longer before helping Colby. The twins fussed most of the way home before finally tiring themselves out. Colby squeezed my hand, making me look at him.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm a little nervous and also in shock." He nodded, understanding what I was feeling. I sucked in a nervous breath as we pulled up to my aunt's house.

"I'll be with you every step of the way." I nodded, opening the door getting out. Quietly I opened Addie's door so that I could get her out. She curled up on my shoulder as her curls rested in my neck. Colby walked over, taking my hand as we walked up to the door. I gasped, finding my mom on the other side with tears in her eyes.

"Come here, princess," Colby whispered, pulling Addie into his arms. I made sure she is secure before looking back at my mom.

"Jade." She cried as the tears welled up in my eyes.

"You're here." She nodded hesitantly, stepping closer.

"I am. Can I hug you?" I launched myself into her arms, where I cried on her shoulder.

"I'm so sorry." She sobbed into my ear. Her body shook as I held onto her tightly.

"Momma." I heard Alex cry as I slowly pulled away from my mom.

"Alex, come here," Colby yelled as he walked back over to us.

"Come here, buddy." I reached down, pulling Alex into my arms. Alex looked between my mom and me before pushing his face in my neck.

"Sorry about that. Claire, good to see you again." Colby walked over, wrapping his around me bringing me into him.

"You too, Colby."

"Let's go sit down." I nodded as we walked into the kitchen, sitting down at the counter. Jane had Addie, who was looking between my mom and me. 

"She looks just like you. Both of them are beautiful." She cried, looking between the twins. 

"I should get them up to bed," Colby whispered in my ear.

"Yeah, good idea. Alex, go see daddy. It's bedtime. Love you." I kissed his cheek, handing him off to Colby. Jane walked over carrying Addie.

"Night, baby girl, love you." I kissed her before they both left, leaving me with my mom. I watched them walk away before turning back to my mom. The last time I saw her, she was in her designer clothes now she's here in raggedy clothes. 

"Dad."

"He's not here, and he doesn't know I'm here. I'm leaving him."

"What happened?" I whispered, trying to grasp what is going on.

"My daughter needed me, and I wasn't there. I missed a significant moment in your life. I have two grandbabies that I know very little about. I was weak, and I'm so sorry for that. I wish I could go back and change everything. Sending you here was the only way I knew you would be supported in the way you deserved."

"I lost a baby." I cried as she gasped. 

"Oh, Jade."

"I'm so sorry."

"We didn't even know until it was too late. I wanted you there."

"Oh, Jade, if I would have known, I would have been here." I shook my head as she reached for my hand.

"I need to go check on the twins."

"Jade."

"Are you here for good?" I hissed out as I made some space between us. 

"I am." I nodded, walking upstairs to the twin's room. Colby sat in the rocking chair, rocking Addie in his arms. 

"Hey," I whispered, touching his shoulder. He opened his eyes, tightening his arms around Addie.

"You okay?"

"I will be." He nodded, getting up laying down Addie. I walked into his arms, where he tightened his arms around me. 

"I got you." I nodded as I silently sobbed against his chest.