Chapter 8

Jade

This past week has been eye-opening. Colby has been here every day helping out with the kids. Addie surprised me immediately, curling up to him. Whenever he is around, she is attached to him. We haven't spoken about much unless it was about the twins.

"Have you told your mom?" I asked as we got the twins down for a nap.

"I told her last night, and she wants to meet them." I nodded, walking back to my room.

"Maybe after their nap, we can go over there," I whispered, watching his reaction.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He whispered, turning to look at me. I looked into his eyes, finding how much it hurt him.

"I wanted to, but you know how my parents are. My mom walked in on me taking the pregnancy test. She screamed at me, telling me how disappointed she was. Once my dad came home, he started yelling how you would walk away. I didn't even tell Brenna I was leaving."

"She was pretty devastated when you left. How did you end up here?" I pulled my knees into my chest as the memories came flowing back.

"After I refused to have an abortion, she sent me out here. They took my phone to make sure the news that I was pregnant didn't get out. When I got here, I shut down. I was scared and so alone. I barely knew my aunt and uncle and my cousins. Emily and Jane sat with me a lot, making sure I was okay. When they were born, my depression picked up." He reached over, wiping the lone tear that fell.

"Jade." He whispered as a sob broke out. His arms wrapped around me as I sobbed against his shoulder.

"I'm here, Jade. I'm not going anywhere." He whispered over and over before exhaustion overcame me.

I woke up a few hours later, still curled up to Colby. His arms were wrapped tightly around me. I took a second to look him over before trying to pull away.

"Where are you going?"

"Check on the twins."

"I got them." He started to get up. I followed them to the twin's room only to find they weren't there. I turned around, running down stairs finding them with Emily and Saige.

"Mama." They both yelled as we walked over to them.

"Hi, babies."

"You two looked like you could use some sleep. They woke up about an hour ago and got some food."

"Thank you," Colby said, pulling Addie into his arms.

"You still want to see your mom?" I asked Colby as Alex crawled over to me.

"Yeah, come on, princess, let's go get ready." I picked up Alex carrying him up to the room.

"You got her?" I smirked, watching him struggle to get her dressed.

"Yeah." I nodded, going back to Alex fixing his hair.

"Handsome." I smiled, sitting down with Alex on the floor. He played with his toys while I got their diaper bag ready.

"I'm going to change." He nodded as I went back to my room and quickly changed.

After a half-hour, we were finally on the road. The twins were in the back seat talking to each other while trying to calm myself down. Colby reached over, squeezing my thigh, making me look over at him.

"You okay?"

"Just a little overwhelmed."

"You know you talk to me." I nodded, looking at the window. There is so much we need to talk about, but I can't find the right words.

"I want to, but I can't right now. I know that's not fair because I owe you everything."

"You're right. It's not fair, but I understand."

"Can we talk tomorrow about it, please?" He nodded, giving my thigh another squeeze.

We pulled up to a house a few minutes later. Since Alex was on my side, I got him out, resting him on my hip. Colby came around the truck, taking my free band, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

"Mom." He yelled as we walked inside. I kissed the side of Alex's head, trying to calm myself down.

Sarah Ryan walked around the corner a minute later, gasping as she looked at us. First, she looked at her son, then at the babies in our arms.

"They're beautiful." She cried, getting a better look at both of them.

"Let's go in the living room," Colby suggested as I followed him. Alex squirmed in my arms, making me let him go.

"Hi handsome, come sit with me." Sarah smiled as she pulled his little body onto her lap. Addie watched the interaction but stayed curled into Colby's side.

"Mom, that is your grandson Alex, and this is Addie." She nodded, making faces at Alex as he laughed.

"I'm sorry, I need a minute."

"Do you want me to go with you?" Colby asked as I shook my head.

"No, stay with them. I will be right back." I got up, making my way outside to catch my breath.

"Jade," Sarah whispered, making me turn and look at her. When Colby and I were together, she was like a second mother to me.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" A sob broke out as I shook my head. Sarah pulled me into her arms as I rested my head against her chest.

"I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry about."

"I was so lost. I should have told you guys."

"You were put in a difficult position. I'm angry with your parents, but I'm not angry with you." She smiled, wiping the tears out of my eyes.

"I'm so glad he's here, but it's so overwhelming. He should be spending time with his family."

"Slow down, honey, and breathe for a second. If I know Courtney like I think I do, she will be just as accepting. Everything your feeling is okay." I nodded, pulling myself together.

"We should go back inside."

"Jade, if you need me, I will always be here for you. Whether it's babysitting or a shoulder to cry on, I'll be here."

"Thank you." I gave her another hug before walking back inside. Both of the twins were on the floor playing. Colby reached for my hand, pulling me into his side.

"You okay?"

"I'm getting there." He kissed my temple as I reached my head against his shoulder.