Chapter 1: Prologue

The Village Hidden in the Leaves, better known as Konoha and viewed as the strongest of the Five Great Hidden Villages, is a peaceful place. The leaf village is known for its "Will of Fire", which emphasizes how important teamwork was. Many legends spawned due to the beliefs held in the "Will of Fire", fighting for their village's sake with that ideal embedded in their hearts. On one October 10th, six years ago, the birth of one boy would be the beginning of a new legend.

That boy is a young, blonde boy named Naruto. Naruto is not an ordinary boy though, he is actually the Jinchuriki of the Nine-Tailed fox, who attacked Konoha on the day of Naruto's birth incidentally. The attack was devastating and came out of nowhere. Many shinobi perished that night facing the Kyubi, along with many civilian casualties. The sudden attack crippled Konoha considerably. And Konoha's destruction was imminent had it not been for the Yondaime Hokage, defeating and later sealing the Kyubi into a newborn Naruto at the cost of his life. The Yondaime had wished that Naruto is seen as a hero, but unfortunately, that was for not, as people viewed Naruto as the Kyubi reincarnate. Although they did not openly hate or abuse young Naruto, his fate was worst being that his entire existence was seemingly ignored.

Naruto became an orphan that night and as such had lived at the orphanage since birth. Just like with most orphans, being adopted by a family was all Naruto wanted since he could remember. Nothing was wrong with him as far as he knew. He was smart. The nice orphanage mother said he was handsome. Maybe his whisker mark like scars? No, she said those added to his appeal. So why, like every other day, was he not adopted. He could not even get one of the families to even consider him. The orphanage had a plentiful of people come in, yet Naruto still felt all alone.

"What did I do to get this treatment?" thought Naruto sadly.

At that same instance, something strange was happening in Konoha. Nothing to major, it just seemed like the vegetation around Konoha seemed to pale a little in color.

(Center of Konoha)

In a building, directly in the heart of Konoha, there was a man seated behind a desk in an office looking into a crystal ball. He was none other than the Sandaime Hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi. Hiruzen is an old man with gray hair and a wrinkled face to go along with his age. Despite that, he is still acknowledged as the strongest in Konoha and still considered one of the strongest shinobi in the world today. Behind Hiruzen was another man with silver hair, dressed in all black with grey armor, and a dog-like porcelain mask. This was the Anbu captain code-named Inu. With one of his most trusted ANBU behind him, Hiruzen could not keep himself from sighing from what he was viewing.

"Inu, do you think I've failed the Yondaime?" asked Hiruzen.

"I could not say, although if I had to say something I'd state things could be made a little easier for the 'Hero of Konoha.'" replied Inu.

"Hmmm, maybe you're correct. I could make things easier for Naruto, starting with finding people who will at least acknowledge him, maybe I'll go to the orphanage tomorrow and walk him around the village."

"Sounds practical Hokage-sama, I'm sure you will know what to do. If I may be dismissed?"

"Of course, have your report in later," said Hiruzen.

"Mmmm, okay. Oh, by the way, is it me or does Konoha not seem as green as earlier?" said Inu before he disappeared in a poof of smoke.

"Hmm it does, that's odd. It's not supposed to look like that, the only times I've seen it look like that was when Hashirama-sensei was sad over something. At times like the death of a ninja, but that was only due to his connection to nature via his Mokuton...could it be?" stated a slightly shocked Hiruzen.