Chapter 2

The next morning Lucy began her job as scullery maid. Her aunt had decided to have her work for a noble family with two daughters, Sorano and Yukino. The sisters were extremely spoiled and the oldest Sorano was especially bratty and mean to poor Lucy.

"Where have you been?" She asked haughtingly when Lucy arrived her room carrying firewood. "I have been chill for half an hour. Hurry up and light a fire and don't touch anything with those dirty hands of yours!"

"Yes Miss."

Little Lucy spent many days working as hard as she could receiving no help or kindness from anyone. She wore only rags and slept by the fireplace in the kitchen which resulted in her face always being covered in ash and cinder. Sorano would always taught her by calling her name's like cinder wench or dirty maid. Her only friends were the mice who would sometimes sneak into the kitchen for table scraps.

One day when the castle was having a ball she found herself sitting at the entrance of the ballroom, hiding in the shadows just to hear the music playing and to smell the delicious food on display. They did feed her but it was never enough and she was always so very hungry. Taking a peak inside she saw a man whom she recognized as King Hector dancing with a little girl around her age. It reminded her of when she used to dance with her father and it brought tears to her eyes.

"Hello."

Lucy was snapped out of her sad thoughts by the sound of a little girl's voice. She was the same little girl she had seen dancing with the king.

"Oh forgive me Miss I was just resting for a moment." Lucy said.

"That's okay. You look tired and hungry. Do you want something to eat? Stay here I'll be right back."

And she was off before Lucy could stop her. She then came back with a little plate of bread and cake.

"Here you go."

"Miss I couldn't."

"Why not? You look like you're starving to death."

"But I'm a servant."

"Servants have to eat to you know."

Lucy was expecting this girl's act of kindness to be some sort of cruel joke. Like that time Sorano had offered her a small cube of sugar only to snatch it away when Lucy reached for it. Giving into her growling belly she slowly reach over to grab a small roll off the plate. She hesitated before taking a bite still not sure if the girl's kindness was sincere. She soon realized that it was and began to help herself to the bread and cake.

"Don't they feed you?" The girl asked.

"Yes but only bread crust and chicken bones."

"That's awful. My father would never allow such a thing. He's the king you know."

"Your father is the king? Then you must be the princess."

"Yep."

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Because isn't that what princesses are supposed to be?"

"Lucy!" Screeched the angry voice of Minerva as she charged over to where the two girls were seated. "What do you think you're doing up here?! You're supposed to be in the kitchen! Do you think I want my guests to see a dirty serving wench up here?!"