Chapter 12

Little Erza felt her heart swell with joy when she heard Jellal's words. All her life only one person had ever told her that she was beautiful and that was her grandmother but now someone else had said it and it made her so happy.

"You really like my hair?" She asked.

"It's almost as pretty as you. Why do you hide it?"

"Because everyone will think I'm a witch and they'll burn me just as they did to my mother."

"I won't let that happen. I promise you Erza I won't let Reverend Hades or anyone else hurt you."

Erza smiled and hugged Jellal, he hugged her back. The seed of young love was soon planted and if fate was kind it would one day blossom into something stronger and much more wonderful.

"Oh no!" Erza gasped when she saw the sun setting. "It'll be dark soon. I better get home right away."

"You can't go back by yourself. It'll be too dark, stay with me and my family tonight."

"But my Granny will worry."

"My father will ask the Reverend to stop by and tell her where you are."

Though Erza didn't want to impose, Jellal's parents didn't mind having her over. They thought that she was a very sweet girl. They had dinner together and Erza slept in Jellal's bed while he slept with his parents. Suddenly in the middle of the night Erza awoke to the sound of screaming and snarling and howling. She got out of bed and started to head for the door only for it to be opened by Jellal who was as white as a ghost.

"Jellal what's happening?" She asked him.

"There are wolves in the house!" He cried. "You have to hide!"

He locked the door to the room and pulled back the rug on the floor to reveal a cellar door. He opened it and quickly shoved Erza in there.

"Jellal what are you doing?"

"Stay down there and don't make a sound until help comes!"

"But what about you? And your parents?"

"My parents are gone and I have to make sure that the wolves don't get you too!"

"Jellal no! You'll be killed!"

"I'll be fine I promise! Now I need you to promise me that no matter what you hear you won't come out that cellar or make a single noise until help comes! Promise me!"

"I...I...I promise."

"Good."

He shut the cellar door, covered it back up with the rug, and waited with Erza's knife in his hand as the wolves tried to break the door down. Erza heard the sound of the door breaking followed by Jellal's struggling grunts and more growling and snarling. She wanted so badly to open the cellar door and see what was happening but she was convinced that Jellal would be alright because he had promised her that he would be. The animalistic noises were horrifying to listen to but what made Erza more afraid was when everything went quiet. For the rest of the night she sat alone in the dark silence, hoping and praying that Jellal was okay. That the next time she she him he would still have that same smiling face that she always looked forward to. It was morning when Erza heard Reverend Makarov's voice call.