Chapter 11

Sometime next week Titania had planned to take a trip to the village to buy a few things unfortunately though she had caught a nasty cold and was too weak to go.

"I could go get it Granny." Erza offered.

"I don't know sweetheart. You've never gone through the forest and to the village by yourself before."

"I'm not so little anymore Granny. I'm nine years old and I know the way."

"Very well." After coughing into a handkerchief a few times she handed Erza a basket, some money, and a knife with a silver blade. "Go to the village and buy a loaf of bread, some butter, and a pitcher of milk. Stick to the path, don't go into the forest, keep your hair hidden, and come straight home."

"Yes Granny."

"I mean it Erza. I don't want you going into those godforsaken woods and I don't want you staying out after dark. Remember what I told you happens if you go into the forest or stay after dark?"

"Yes Granny. I remember."

"Good also no buying strawberry cake from the bakery! You are to only get bread, butter, and milk."

"I know."

"And one more thing, stay away from that boy Jellal."

"But Jellal is my friend Granny. Why don't you like him? He's sweet and smart and very fun to be around."

"I don't like you around that boy when I'm not there. If you see him today just say hello and be on your merry way."

"Oh Granny."

"Don't oh Granny me. Your mother started hanging around boys when she was your age and I wasn't cautious enough then. I won't make that mistake twice, you pay him no mind when I'm not there understand?"

"Yes Granny."

"Good girl. I'll see you this afternoon. Behave yourself now and be polite."

"Yes Granny."

Erza then put on her red hooded shawl and walked down the path leading to the village. Magnolia had mixed feelings toward little Erza. Some people were very fearful and suspicious of Erza believing her to be the child of a witch who would one day grow up to be one just like her mother. But others like Reverend Makarov thought that she was a darling child who deserved nothing more than kindness and a friendly face. He had been a dear friend of Titania for years and was one of the few reverends who were against the accusation that her daughter Irene was a witch. He tried to prove her innocence but the majority of the villagers were in Reverend Hades's favor. Though Titania had no blame toward him, Reverend Makarov believed that it was his fault she was burned and every Sunday he would leave flowers at Irene's grave and visit Titania and Erza.

"Good morning Erza." Makarov said when she walked by the church.

"Good morning Reverend Makarov." Erza greeted politely.

"How's your grandmother?"

"She has a cold so I'm going to buy what we need from the market while she rests."

"She's unwell? Well then here take her this." He placed a little glass bottle in her basket. "This is a special tonic I brewed. It should clear her cold right up."