Chapter 57

Lucy was happy that the mirror had been destroyed and that her aunt had finally found peace but she was still very sad. She knew what Natsu was planning to do once this was all over but she didn't want him to do it. He was the heir to the throne of Alvarez and his bride to be should be a princess or a woman of nobility. Not some orphaned peasant girl. She loved him, she loved him so much but she had nothing to offer him except her love and love alone is not enough for the crown prince of Alvarez. She thought that it would be best that if she just disappeared from the prince's life and let him fall in love with his true bride whoever she may be.

As soon as she could, she began looking for work again. She ended up working as a permanent maid for Sorano and Yukino. She had to admit it wasn't as bad as before. Sorano was still rude to her but Yukino often spoke up for her and she even allowed her to stay in an extra bedroom they had. They paid her quite well and she found herself becoming friends. She would have been perfectly content living life as their maid but fate had something better in mind for her.

"Good people of Fiore." She heard Rogue announce while she was out shopping for groceries. "I bring you wonderful news. Our beloved Princess Juvia, the fairest woman in all the lands is to wed."

The crowd of peasants cheered excitedly.

"The man she is to marry is not of noble birth but it is of noble spirit and he risked his life to save our princess thus earning his majesty's blessing. By order of King Hector all are invited to the wedding which is one moon away. He has also taken the liberty of inviting King Zeref and Prince Natsu of Alvarez to the event as well."

"How romantic the princess is getting married." Yukino sighed.

"But it's to a commoner." Sorano said.

"I think that's more romantic because she's choosing to marry for love instead of wealth or stature."

"I'm surprised that her father is actually allowing her to marry a huntsman." Lucy said. "I thought royals were forbidden to marry commoners regardless if they loved each other or not."

"I guess her father was so grateful to that huntsman for saving her that he overlooked it." Yukino said.

"If you ask me she's making a horrible mistake." Sorano said.

"So does that mean you won't attend the wedding?"

"Of course I'll attend. This is the biggest event of the season. I hear they're actually inviting fairies to be the bridesmaids."

"Oh with the fairies there I'm sure the princess and her true love will be given a blessing and have a long and happy marriage."

"Yes and the fairies are also going to be making the wedding gown while some dwarves will mine for diamonds to be used for the rings."

"How exciting."

"I know but they chose some scarlet haired peasant girl to be the maid of honor. How odd. Wouldn't it be more grand to have a fairy be the maid of honor?"

"Who knows? Will you be coming to the wedding Lucy?" Yukino asked.

"I...I don't know." Lucy sighed.

Lucy wanted to be there for Juvia but she feared running into Natsu at the ceremony and she couldn't bear the thought of rejecting him again. She  had decided to never see him again but the next day a carriage appeared at the manor and a polite knock was at the door. Yukino chose to answer it and to the surprise of both her and her sister it was Prince Natsu.

"Your majesty, to what do we owe this honorable visit to?" Sorano said.

"I'm on a quest to find the woman I met at the last ball held here. I know not her name, only that she left this behind." He said holding up a golden show for the sisters to see. "I plan to have every woman in Fiore try it on, whoever fits it is the woman I seek."