Chapter 40

"So is this where the old lady lives?" Gajeel asked Erza when they arrived at Titania's house.

"Yep. Now you wait out here, my grandmother has a thing about strange men."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you're strange and I don't want you to frighten my grandmother. Now wait out here and keep quiet."

Erza carefully and quietly opened the door to the house where she found her grandmother lying in bed sleeping but she looked so weak and frail. Erza gently gave the sleeping old woman a gentle nudge.

"Granny? Granny wake up. It's me, Erza."

The old woman opened her eyes and when she saw her granddaughter at her bedside she gave her a weak smile.

"Oh my sweet little Erza is that you?"

"It's me Granny."

"Oh God be praised. I thought that you had suffered the same horrible fate as my dear Irene."

"It's alright Granny. I'm okay."

The two embraced.

"I've missed you so much Granny."

"I've missed you too Erza but where have you been all this time. You had me so worried."

"I promise to explain everything later Granny but now I have to go again."

"Go again? Erza you mustn't leave me again. We need to get out of here and find somewhere else to live."

"And we will but for now I have to do something very important."

"Please don't tell me that it's your foolish goal to kill the alpha?"

"No Granny I've given up that goal but I have new one that desperately needs to be accomplished."

"What goal is this?"

"I'll tell you later."

"You'll tell me now young lady! Cough! Cough!"

"Granny please don't upset yourself. Not when you're sick like this."

"I'll upset myself all I want to! I'm a sick old woman who's spent several weeks thinking that her only grandchild was killed only to find out she's alive but she's leaving her again for God knows what purpose! You tell what on earth is going on here?"

"Alright Granny but I don't have time to tell you everything so I'll just cut to the point. I'm trying to save Jellal."

"Jellal? What are you talking about Erza? Jellal has been dead for ten years. He was eaten by wolves!"

"No Granny he's alive. He's been alive all this time and he's in trouble. I have to help him Granny."

"Why Erza? I don't understand any of this."

"It's too complicated to explain now."

"Erza please-"