Chapter 9

At the end of the dance Natsu and Lucy sneaked away on to the balcony outside to watch the starry night sky.

"Beautiful night isn't it?" Lucy said.

"Oh it's gorgeous." He said looking directly at her while paying no attention to the sky.

"If you don't mind me asking your highness what brings you to Fiore?"

"My brother was hoping to marry me off to Princess Juvia."

"Well that makes sense. After all there is no one more beautiful than her."

"I don't know. I can think of someone more beautiful."

"Well you've never even seen her."

"Don't need to because right now I'm looking at the prettiest girl in the world."

Lucy blushed.

"Surely you don't mean me?"

"And what if I do?"

"Your highness I am flattered by your words but I'm not the kind of woman you think I am."

"What do you mean?"

"What if I told you that I was no one important? That was just some little nobody?"

"That's ridiculous. You are not some nobody."

"You wouldn't say that if you knew who I was."

"I'm sure that I would and I'll prove it to you. Just tell me who you are."

Suddenly Lucy heard the clock chime. Looking at it she saw that it was ten minutes til twelve. Almost midnight. At once Lucy remembered Levy's warning and panicked.

"Oh my goodness!" She gasped.

"What's the matter?" He asked.

"It's almost midnight."

"So it is."

"Goodbye!" She said starting to leave.

"No wait you can't leave yet." He said grabbing her hand.

"No please I must."

"But why?"

"I...I can't explain. Goodbye!" She broke away from him and headed for the ballroom.

"Wait! Come back! Please come back! I don't even know your name how will I find you?"

"I really must go now!"

"But wait! When can I see you again?"

"Never!"

"Never?!"

"Please it would be best if you forgot me completely!"

"What?!"

"Thank you for the wonderful evening! I'll never forget this as long as I live!" She called before disappearing into the crowd of dancers.